Chapter 5

The next day...

Steven invited us to their house at like 6 AM this morning, and of course Lapis couldn't say no to Steven and I couldn't say no to Lapis. So here we were at the Crystal Gems HQ at 7 in the morning. I groaned and rubbed my eyes, still functioning on literally 3 hours of sleep - we're not early people. Pearl offered to make us coffee since it was so early for us, and I happily took the offer - Lapis reluctantly took the offer. 

Once Pearl left the kitchen, it was just Lapis and I there with our coffees, and Steven sitting there with his bowl of cereal. "How was your guys' night?" Steven asked, shoving his mouth with a spoon of cereal. "Oh it was hot--" Lapis elbowed me and I yelped. "It was fine. Just a normal night." Lapis said to him after. Steven nodded and scooped another spoonful into his mouth. 

"So how's that Amethyst girl?" Lapis asked, taking a sip of her coffee. "She's alright. A little obnoxious I must say." I replied, looking to the side. "Not to mention handsy..." Lapis grumbled under her breath. "What?" I asked, making sure I heard her right. "Nothing." she deadpanned, with uninterested eyes. She then gave her cup of coffee a weird look, and slammed it down. "Anyways, have you seen Pearl anywhere?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. 

"No, why?" I asked curiously. "She put dog shit in my coffee...." she muttered, staring into her cup. "Euughhh" I cringed, curling my fingers. The putrid smell then hit my nostrils, and I scrunched up my nose. "Excuse me while I go find her and beat the living shi--" "Hey hey hey, m-maybe it was just an accident." I said, holding her back. I noticed that Steven never liked watching Lapis and Pearl fight, so we tried to keep it to a minimum. 

"You're defending her when she tries poisoning me with some dog's crap?!" Lapis asked me with both eyebrows raised. She had a scary expression on her face that she only used back when she was still the leader of the Blue Diamond Authority - more specifically moments like when she held a knife up to my neck. "I-I j-just I'm j-just s-saying that m-maybe we could f-find another way to work things out with P-Pearl?" I asked nervously, feeling myself tremble. 

Lapis's expression softened, and she looked at my shaky hands for a moment. She then had a hurt expression on her face, and she took a step back. "Uh...y-yeah..." she responded in a low voice. Pearl then walked into the kitchen and looked at us two with a confused look. "You guys mentioned my name?" she asked. "Yeah...looks like you thought I wasn't gonna notice this shit in my coffee?!" Lapis asked angrily, holding the cup in Pearl's face. She scrunched up her nose and pushed the cup out of her face.

"I have no idea how it got there. We don't even have a dog." Pearl claimed, closing her eyes and sticking her nose in the air. "Yeah, we just have our cat, Lion." Steven chimed in. "But what about the savage dog in Amethyst's room?" I asked. "Then Amethyst must've done it." Pearl said, giving us a stern look. "Yeah, yeah...always blaming it on the others 'cause you're too perfect to do any wrong." Lapis said, rolling her eyes. "Lapis, I am serious. I did not contaminate your coffee with fecal matter." she said defensively, crossing her arms.

Lapis then got in Pearl's face and growled. "You disgust me." she deadpanned through gritted teeth. Pearl scoffed, and purposely bumped Lapis's shoulder as she walked past into the living room. Amethyst then walked into the kitchen and looked at Pearl. "What'd I miss?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. Pearl gave her a dirty look and walked right past her.

"Get that dog of yours under control." she muttered. Lapis then looked at Amethyst with a confused expression, and Amethyst stared back with a dark expression. "Heya Peri..." she waved, sitting on the counter. I looked at her with tiredness in my eyes as a response, and Lapis walked up to me. "Why don't we go explore this temple or something." she suggested. "Sounds good to me I guess..." I mumbled, following her once she began to walk down one of the halls.