Chapter 3 You will meet a tall dark stranger

There was running and screaming. That much she knew, but she wasn’t sure what was going on.
Alin pulled her with him deeper into the forest and she struggled to keep up with him. “Alin stop!” She pulled on his hand, but he ignored her. “Alin please. I’m tired. My feet hurt. I want to go back.”
Alin didn’t’ stop, but slowed his pace so his sister could rest. “We have to keep moving Lenka.” In the distance he could hear the dogs the gadje had brought with them. ‘Not far enough.’
“But what about momma and
poppa? And the others? They are still at camp.”
He didn’t answer her, but his face was grim.
“Alin? Why won’t you say anything? Alin?”

Milena shot up straight and for a moment she didn’t know where she was. She touched her face and blinked when her fingertips turned out wet.
She closed her eyes again and cried silent tears for the memory of that horrid day.

Next to her, Tsura lay curled up still asleep. The girl looked so peaceful.
Carmen was nowhere in sight, but Milena could hear her outside making breakfast.
Carefully, so she wouldn’t wake Tsura, she crawled out of bed and slipped on her dress. Once outside she blinked against the morning sun. It was still early, but the camp was already busy. They would depart soon and follow the long road to the next stop. One more stop and they would meet up with Oszkar’s kumpania, as they did every year around this time.
It would be good to see old friends again and to exchange news from other kumpania and their travels.
They were moving towards the annual horse market. Once that was behind them, the kumpania would make for their winter quarters, sitting out the long winter months, waiting for the wind to call them again.
It was a never-ending journey, but Milena loved it. As did the others.
Carmen smiled at her when she saw her. “Good morning,” she said, “are you hungry? The is still time for breakfast before we depart.”
Milena nodded and moved to the stream to wash her face and hands. She combed her fingers through her tangled hair and tried to shake the nightmare off. Involuntarily her eyes searched for Ramiro, but he was helping Alec tie the horses in front of their wagon.
“Here,” Carmen handed her a plate filled with food, “is Tsura still asleep?” Milena nodded. “You are like a big sister to her,” Carmen sighed, “please watch out for her. I can’t always keep an eye on her and she follows you everywhere.” Milena nodded again and Carmen returned to the wagon.
Milena finished her breakfast and cleaned her plate. It was going to be a hot day, she could tell, and they had a long way to go.
“Morning,” Daria’s light voice sounded behind her.
Milena turned to face her friend who was smiling at her. “Are you ready to travel? Will you ride in the wagon with me?”
Milena gave her a faint smile and nodded. She motioned towards Carmen’s wagon.
“Tsura can join us when she is awake,” Daria said, “Carmen will tell her where you are.” She hooked her arm in Milena’s. “Come Lenka. Hurry. Petsha will travel with us too. He will drive the wagon with Ramiro. Father will take the horses so he will not be there. Come.”
She pulled Milena with her, ignoring her friend’s now red cheeks. Cezar would not be there? Would she have some time with Ramiro? They wouldn’t be alone and his mother Izabela would be there, so it would be proper, wouldn’t it?
They passed Aishe’s wagon. The old woman stood on the steps of her wagon and was staring at the sky intensely. A concerned look was in her eyes. “Prikasa,” she muttered.
Milena stopped moving and turned to the woman, forcing Daria to do the same.
“What is it puridaia?” Daria asked her grandmother.
Aishe turned her eyes to the two girls as if only seeing them now. “Did you say something child?”
“You foresee something bad?” Daria asked softly. Her face turned a bit paler. Her grandmother was well-known for her sight.
“It is nothing. Do not worry. Go join your brother, Darka. We are leaving.” Aishe disappeared inside.
Milena watched it concerned and then glanced at the sky. It looked perfectly normal, though the heat promised a storm tonight.
“Come,” Daria said softly, but even she had a concerned look in her eyes now. She always took her grandmother’s warnings seriously.
“There you are,” Izabela said impatiently when she spotted her daughter. She put the last basket onto the wagon and put her hands on her hips. “Why do you always wander off Daria? You know we are leaving.”
“I had to find Lenka,” Daria protested, “she will travel with us.” She was still holding on to Milena’s arm, as if she was afraid Milena would run away.
Izabela threw her hands in the air and muttered something. “Well don’t stand there child,” she scolded her daughter, “we have to go. Climb onto the wagon.” She nodded at Milena. “You too child. The boys are already up front.”
Milena nodded and climbed after Daria. She had to bite her lip to keep from laughing. Daria and her mother couldn’t be more different. Izabela was a very organized woman that liked it when things went as they were supposed to go, while Daria was a little butterfly. Always exploring and getting in trouble.

Ramiro and Petsha were waiting for them, Ramiro holding the reins. Petsha nodded at her kindly when she settled herself close to them, next to Daria. “Morning Milena.”
She nodded back at Petsha and dared a smile. She liked him. He was kind to everyone.
Ramiro checked if everyone was present and clicked his tongue to set the horses in motion. He waited for Petsha  to climb inside the wagon and glanced at Milena who had settled herself, her feet dangling off the wagon. “You’ve had another nightmare.”
Milena’s head snapped towards him, but his eyes were on the road again, trained on the wagon in front of him. She sighed and lowered her eyes.
“How are you, Lenka?” Ramiro asked softly.
The way he said her name made a pleasant shiver run down her spine. She glanced at him and gave a faint smile.
“You should speak to grandmother about it,” Ramiro told her, “she can help you.”
Milena shook her head. Even Aishe wouldn’t be able to rid her of these memories.
Her brother had left her behind in the forest that day, hidden in a tree. She wasn’t sure how much time had passed before she realized he wouldn’t come back, but the darkness had started to set.
It had taken even longer before she understood he had saved her life that day.
Sometimes she wished he hadn’t.
A hand on her arm made her eyes snap open. She knew who it belonged to without looking. The skin on her arm was burning.
Milena looked at him with watery eyes. His gaze was warm and comforting. She sighed.