Chapter 4 The rose on the mountain

“What about your son, eh?” Oszkar grinned at Cezar, “why has he not yet married?”

A few of the men were gathered at Milosh’ wagon, sharing food and water as was custom.

Cezar grunted. “He is a headstrong boy.”

“He is a man in love,” Vali countered, “and who can blame him?”

The other men laughed.

“I knew her mother,” Boris said, “the girl has her eyes.” He smiled and shook his head, “she was a wildflower that one, but Darek tamed her.”

“He was the best storyteller that ever spoke,” Oszkar mused, “when he spoke, all would fall silent. As if there was magic in his every word. And their boy, Alin, he had such a way with horses.”

It turned quiet for a moment and Oszkar’s eyes saddened. He looked at Cezar. “What is your grief against the girl, Cezar of Milosh’ kumpania?”

Cezar gritted his teeth. “A son should obey his father.”

“I knew a man once, who told his son the same thing,” Oszkar said, “that son did not hear his father. He took the woman he loved and they ran from their kumpania. It brought great shame over both familias.”

“My son will not shame me,” Cezar spoke.

“My friend,” Oszkar spoke kindly, “you say you have a headstrong son. I say your son has a headstrong father. And men in love do reckless things.”

***

“Lenka.”

Milena looked up from her sitting position by the river and took the skirt she had been washing out of the stream.

Ihrin looked at her with serious eyes. “May I sit with you and speak?”

Milena debated on the girl’s words. She did not wish for the girl to talk to her, because she feared her words. But the pleading look in Ihrin’s eyes made her nod and the girl sat down next to her.

For a long time Ihrin did not speak and Milena continued washing the skirt she had been cleaning earlier.

A moment later Ihrin’s hands took one of the other clothes and cleaned it in the stream as well. She kept her eyes on the water as she spoke. “You think I do not know what is going on, but I am no fool, Lenka. I know Cezar wishes to make an offer to my father, to make me a wife for Ramiro.” She paused and watched as hurt flashed across Milena’s face. “I know he loves you,” Ihrin continued softly. She glanced over her shoulder to make sure no one would overhear. “Ramiro loves you, but if his father makes an offer, my parents I cannot refuse without insulting his familia. I can not bring shame over us.”

Now Milena did look up. There was a desperate tone to Ihrin’s voice that she did not understand at first, but Ihrin’s next words made her feel sorry for the girl.

“He is a good man. And every woman in the kumpania, and other kumpania too, would be honored to have him for a husband. The men… they speak of honor and shame, but they do not understand. How can there be honor in a bond that was not chosen freely?  And if I would become his wife while he loves someone else, will it not be cause for shame? Behind my back, others will pity me. They will pity the three of us.”

Milena’s eyes saddened. Suddenly she felt selfish. She had been thinking of only her own sorrow, but Ihrin would suffer too.

She placed a hand on Ihrin’s arm. Not for the first time she wished she could speak again. But Ihrin seemed to understand. She patted Milena’s hand.