Chapter 20 The sound of freedom

“My lord, the sidesaddle has been taken for repairs,” Jonathan, the stable master of the Blackwood family looked at his master apologetic.

“The regular saddle will do,” Daniel decided, “I do not think she will have a problem with that.” He passed the stables and studied the horses thoughtfully. What horse should he pick? A calm, steady one or one with some temper? He knew she had calmed Thor, but grooming a horse was not the same as riding one.

Harun entered with the saddle for Thor.

“Your opinion, Harun,” Daniel called him, “what horse for Leah?”

“I would suggest a steady horse, my lord,” Harun answered, “until you know who well she rides.”

Daniel nodded. “Saddle the bay horse for her.” He watched the boy go about his task and leaned against the wall. “My sister is not much of a rider,” he commented, “I don’t think she will join us. How do these things normally work out for your people?”

Harun glanced at him while readying the horse. He didn’t correct Daniel when he said ‘your people’. He was raised in the culture of both travelers and gadje, but he didn’t consider himself belonging to either, even if he respected both.

“The women do not go out on their own,” he answered the young lord’s question, “and when dealing with non-travelers, a man from the kumpania will go with them for protection.”

“Kumpania?” Daniel questioned the foreign word.

“A group of travelers that live and travel together,” Harun explained, “they can be several families.”

Daniel nodded in understanding and Harun continued. “It’s a great disgrace if a gadje man, a non-traveler man, touches a woman from the traveling people. She will be deemed unclean.”

Daniel stared at him stunned. “even if it was not her fault?”

Harun nodded solemnly. “She could be cast out.”

Daniel thought for a moment. If what Harun said was true, then Leah’s family would not welcome her when they’d find out what Jackson had done. “Would they allow her to come back?” he asked.

Harun bit his lip and shrugged. “It depends on the matter of transgression. Not every kumpania is that strict though. Like I said, it depends on the situation.”

Daniel was silent. He didn’t want to bring even more trouble to the gypsy girl. But if her family would disown her… perhaps she would stay here… with him.

No.

He couldn’t be that selfish.

If she wanted to stay with him, it would have to be her own decision. And if he family believed her to be dead as he suspected, then perhaps she would consider it.

But he would have to learn more about her, and her people

He turned to the stable boy. “You should ride with us.”

Harun’s hand stilled and he looked up at Daniel. “My lord?”

“She and I should not be alone, it would be improper if she were a lady of statue, and I should treat her as such. She is our guest. You understand her, you can explain things to me.”

“My lord… I … I don’t know if…”

“Lord Blackwood gave you instructions, boy,” Jonathan said while handing the boy a bridle.

Harun hurriedly bowed. “Yes, sir.”

Jonathan winked at him. “Go saddle a horse then.” He laughed as the boy rushed to obey. He turned to Daniel. “That boy is a hard worker. And he knows his way around horses.”