Chapter 34 Convictions

Milena had managed to slip away from the crowded salon and now ventured outside. Harun was still gone, so she would not go to the stables, but she could walk in the snow-covered garden. It was cold, but she preferred the quiet over the cacophony of voices in the house.

She was not sure anymore what to think. She still missed her family terribly, but living here was not so bad. She was starting to feel at home at Blackwood Manor. Cecily was still a little reserved towards her and made sure never to address her directly, but everyone else was kind to her. And Amelia and Emily had become like sisters to her.

Milena sighed. She wondered where the kumpania was camped at the moment. Did they still think of her?

Unknown to her, two people were watching her trek from the parlor window.

Jacob looked at his friend who was staring at the girl in the garden with adoration. He had to admit, the girl was quite charming, even with the inability to speak. Still, he feared his friend was holding on to false hope. He sighed. "You'll never tame her, my friend," he said while watching the girl enjoy the wintry day, "she belongs in the fields and the hills."

Daniel smiled. He couldn't keep his eyes off her. "Who said anything about taming her? I just want her at my side. Look at her. Isn't she beautiful?"

A light smile appeared on Jacob's face, albeit a sad one. "Yes," he agreed, "that she is."

***

"What do you reckon his lordship is gonna do?" Thomas glanced at William as they trotted across the snow.

"Provide food for one thing," William answered, "he'll have no choice what with our barn still down. We won't live through winter without food. He can't let us starve." He looked at their third companion. "That sled strong enough?"

John nodded. "It can hold all o' me boys."

The three of them stared at the large estate in front of them and Thomas whistled in awe. "Well, they won't starve, that's for sure."

William scoffed. "Then he can spare us some food." The trotted towards the mansion.

Suddenly Thomas halted and nodded his head to the side. "Will you look at that. Ain't that one of 'em gypsies?"

William narrowed his eyes. "What is scum like that doing here?"

"Ain't that the girl we were chasin' in the forest?"

"Who knows," William growled, "they all look a same to me." He knocked on the door while keeping a suspicious eye on Milena.

The door to the mansion opened and a tall man in a suit looked at them. "May I help you?"

"We want to speak with lord Blackwood," William took the lead, "he has to provide for us, for the village."

"Lord Blackwood is entertaining a guest," the man answered while giving the villagers a look of disdain., "he does not have time to concern himself with you at the moment."

"It is his responsibility..." William argued.

"I have to ask you to leave now."

"It's alright, Miles," Daniel Blackwood had appeared in the hallway and looked at the villagers on his doorstep, "I will speak with them."

Miles bowed and disappeared down the hall.

Daniel turned to the one that had spoken, William. "Please come in, out of the cold." He gestured towards the hallway and waited until all three men had entered before closing the door. "Now," he said, "what can I do for you?"