Chapter 23 Friends in high places

Nathaniel had invited them to his country estate, a few hours away from Blackwood Manor. Milena loved it at first sight.

It wasn’t as big as the Caldwell estate, but Amelia had assured her that Nathaniel’s other mansion was quite impressive.

The front lawn was lined up with trees on either side. A large fountain was at the front steps of the mansion. The grass was neatly trimmed and fresh flowers decorated the entrance.

Next to Milena, Emily was leaning out of the carriage to take in everything.

The carriage came to a halt and Henry got down the dickey to open the door.

Daniel climbed out first. He straightened out his jacket and waited for Henry to take the chair down before carefully lifting Emily out from the carriage. He gently placed her in her wheelchair. “Are you comfortable, Em?”

“I’m fine Daniel, thank you.”

Daniel smiled at his sister and draped a blanket over her lap.

Amelia and Milena had stepped out of the carriages well and Milena took a good look around. The garden was truly beautiful.

The door to the mansion opened and Nathaniel came outside. He smiled at his guests. “Welcome, come inside where it’s warm.”

“Nathan,” Daniel nodded at him. He was a little bit reserved.

Nathaniel turned to the girls. “Ara is inside. Why don’t you go greet her? She is driving everyone crazy trying to make things perfect.”

Amelia looked at her brother hesitantly.

“Go on,” Daniel told her, “I’ll be right there.”

The three girls made their way inside, assisted by two servants who carried Emily’s chair up the steps into the house.

“I have been here only once,” Amelia told Milena, “for Ara’s engagement party. Emily was ill at the time, so she could not come.”

“It’s a very beautiful house,” Emily said, “don’t you think so Leah?”

Milena smiled at her and nodded.

They could hear Arabella from afar. Her voice echoed orders. “No, the flowers should go there! And I want the silverware on the table.”

The girls stepped around the corner and into the dining room. “Ara!” Amelia greeted.

Arabella turned around and smiled widely. “You are here!” She moved across the room to greet them and hugged each of them in turn. Then she looked at Amelia. Did Daniel not come?”

“I could hardly let my sisters go unaccompanied.” Arabella jumped when she heard Daniel’s voice so close. He held a polite smile. “Miss Caldwell.”