Chapter 21 Roads untraveled

“You promised her what?” Cecily Blackwood stared at her son disbelieve.

“I see no harm in it mother,” Daniel said. He poured himself some wine and walked up to the window. He stared out over the front lawn.

“You hardly know that boy and Emily is a vulnerable child. How could you decide this without consulting me? I am her mother.”

“And I am her brother,” Daniel countered calmly, “I would not do anything that might cause her harm.” He sighed. “All they will do is talk, mother. It’s not like I will leave her alone with him.”

“And where is this ‘conversation’ going to take place? Surely not in the parlor. He is a stable boy Daniel.”

“Yes, and how very fortunate for us. If he had been anything else, he would not have been able to save Leah.” He looked at his mother, but she did not respond. He nodded. “If we turn up the fire in the kitchen, it should be warm enough for Emily. Would you be content with that?”

Cecily let out a sigh. All of her children were stubborn in their persistence. It had been a trait from their father’s side of the family. “We will see,” she gave in.

Daniel stooped and kissed his mother’s cheek. “Mother, we both want to see Emily happy. She does not have many friends. Is it really that bad for her to talk to a simple lad?”

“She is my youngest,” Cecily said, “you will understand when you have children of your own.”

“Mother…” Daniel said embarrassed.

“You have the age for it, Daniel,” Cecily said. She brushed some invisible dust from his shoulder. “And I would love to have some grandchildren.”

“And you shall,” Daniel said, “I will tell Emily you approve.” He pulled away and strode out of the room. They had had this conversation before. He didn’t like being pushed. His mind wasn’t focusing on getting married. He had an estate to run and a family to provide for. It didn’t leave him much time to look for a wife.

Through the open doors of the salon, he could see Leah sitting next to Emily. She was listening to the younger girl’s story, a serene smile on her face.

He could feel the corners of his mouth pulling into a smile of his own. Was this what it felt like to be in love?

He sighed. The only woman he would want to marry and she was a gypsy girl. She would take lot of convincing.

***

Oszkar studied the sky carefully. A weather change was forthcoming. It wouldn’t be long now before the roads would be hard to follow. They needed to make for their winter settlement. For a few long months every year, they would have to rely on the generosity of gadje.

His eyes followed  his new son-in-law. Nikolai had been a good choice.
Oszkar nodded to himself. The young man was the only one that could counter Jasmina’s sharp tongue. He had almost given up on finding her a suitable husband.