Chapter 35 Paths in life

A smile adorned Milena's face as she watched Amelia trek through the garden with Daniel's friend at her side. Jacob was softly speaking to her and Amelia had a blush on her face that had nothing to do with the cold.

It was a beautiful winter day. It had stopped snowing, but the roads were still not clear for travel. Milena had seated herself on one of the stone benches in the garden. Her breath came out in clouds, but she hardly noticed. It was good to be out in the open.

"They form a lovely pair, don't they?"

Milena looked up. She hadn't even noticed Daniel's approach. He sat down next to her and she cast him a soft smile.

Ever since that night in the kitchen, he hadn't pressed her for an answer. She didn't know what to do. She liked living here. This family had taken such good care of her. Amelia and Emily were like sisters to her and Ruth treated her like her own grandchild. She had found friends in Arabella and Nathaniel. Jacob had been kind to her too. She had Harun here, who understood how she felt. And Daniel...

Daniel was a good man. She liked him. But... could she love him? Milena bit her lip. Her heart still belonged to Ramiro. But he was lost to her. Would he have forgotten her? Would he have wed by now?

Her eyes moved back to Amelia and Jacob. Yes, they did make a good pair. She felt a pang of jealousy.

"I have to say it was quite a surprise when Jacob asked to court Amelia," Daniel continued, "but he is a good man. I'm proud to call him family."

The two people in question were approaching them, still in conversation with each other. When they had reached Milena and Daniel, Amelia looked up and smiled shyly. Glancing at her brother, she took Milena's hands. "Come Leah. I must speak with you urgently." She tugged Milena with her.

Daniel chuckled softly as the two girls walked away. Jacob sat down next to his friend in the spot Milena had vacated. "I'm guessing my sister does not object against you?" Daniel asked teasingly.

Jacob smiled sheepishly. "She had no objections."

"Good," Daniel said, "because it's too late to change your mind."

Jacob chuckled. "I won't change my mind."

***

Amelia had tightly latched onto Milena's arm and leaned towards her in a conspiring manner. "He is handsome is he not?" she smiled, a deep blush on her face. "I did not think Jacob would like me. I thought he only saw me as Daniel's little sister. I am so happy! I wish the roads were clear for travel. I must tell Ara. She will be so excited!"

Milena smiled at her friend's behavior. She remembered how Daria had been every time she looked at Pethsa. A sigh escaped her lips. Daria. Had Daria made it safely home?

"Don't be upset Leah," Amelia said quietly, "your time will come." She looked back over her shoulder at the men. "My brother is quite taken with you. Please accept when he asks you. We will be true sisters then."

Milena flinched and stared at Amelia in shock. Ask her? Her mind wandered back to that night in the kitchen when Daniel had admitted his feelings to her. Of course she had noticed the way he looked at her, but had Amelia seen it too? Or was she just expressing her wishes?
She shook her head at Amelia.

Amelia only smiled amused. "You must have at least noticed," she said mischievously, "but you are right. You shouldn't make it too easy for him. He'll have to try harder. He has never shown interest in any young woman before. He shouldn't just expect to win you over. He should shower you with gifts, take you on long romantic walks, give you lots of compliments."