Epilogue

Milena smiled at Ramiro and tightened the grip on his hand. The smile he cast back at her was full of love. "Almost there," he said and she gave a happy nod. Even after three years, speaking was strange to her, but between the two of them they didn't need any words.

Her heart made a leap when the gates came into view. As always, seeing the estate felt like coming home.

The horse Ramiro was leading gave a happy snort as if understanding its destination.

"Hello!" Ramiro called as soon as they had passed through the gates.

It didn't take long for a grinning face to appear around the door of the stables. "You're back!" Harun greeted them. He took note of the animal Ramiro was leading and immediately started to inspect it. He nodded in approval.

"How are you, Harun?" Milena asked in a soft tone. It was as if after years of silence she couldn't get her voice to go much over a whisper. Perhaps in time that would still change. Perhaps not. It did not really matter to her.

"All is well," Harun grinned, "there is much news to share, but you will hear it soon enough."

He had barely finished speaking when a dog ran at them, barking loudly. Behind the dog a young woman wheeled herself in their direction. "Lenka! Ramiro! You're back! Nathaniel sent word that you left their area and were coming here, but I did not think it would be this soon!"

"Emily!" Milena smiled warmly and she hugged the girl tightly. No, she thought, no longer a girl. Emily had grown into a beautiful young woman. Such a change from last time they'd seen her, almost a year ago.

"I have so much to tell you! When Amelia and Jacob heard you were on your way, they sent word they'd be visiting. They should arrive any day now. You will stay a while, won't you?"

Ramiro nodded. Ever since Daniel had assigned the western field to the travelers, there was no need for a quick passage. Any kumpania was free to use the field. Daniel had put up a decree to validate the use of the field indefinitely, for all the next generations to come. Now, whenever they visited this area, they used the field for a prolonged stay so Milena could visit Blackwood. Just as they visited Matthew and Bonny often. "We will stay some days. There is a market nearby where we will trade."

"Oh that reminds me!" Emily said, "I have braided more bracelets for you to sell."

"Would you not rather keep them yourself?" Milena asked.

Emily smiled. "I have already made them for all my friends. And I like making them for you. Last time, Dorin said I have become quite good."

Milena smiled. "He has found a wife," she told Emily.

The girl's eyes widened. "Truly?"

Milena nodded mischievously. Everyone had been shocked when Dorin had brought the girl at the last spring market. She came from another kumpania and Dorin had been intrigued by her from the moment he'd laid eyes on her. His brothers had been quite amused by Dorin's choice of a girl that was every bit his counterpart. She was a very talkative girl that could hardly sit still for more than two seconds, but Dorin loved her and that was all that mattered.

Ihrin had left the kumpania and married a traveling merchant who thought well enough of the travelers. They still crossed paths every now and then.

"Jane has found herself a suitor," Emily told her, "so I don't see her as often as I used to. When she marries, she will live some days travel from here." It saddened her, but she was happy for her friend.

"And you, Emily?" Milena asked.

A blush appeared on the girl's face and she glanced at Harun before looking away shyly.