Chapter 42 The end of the road

He could barely keep his eyes open, but he forced himself to go forward. He was so close now. He would sleep once he had found his goal.

The hooves of his horse echoed against the ground. There was barely a soul on the road at this hour but that suited him just fine. He would travel faster that way.

A cough escaped his lips and he pulled the coat Matthew had given him closer around his body. It made his mind drift back to the blacksmith's. No, he deiced, he couldn't think of them now. He needed to focus on Milena. What was he going to do once he had found her? What would he say? Where would they go? Would she want to live at the town with Bonny and Matthew? Should they travel the roads again? Find a kumpania to join? Was that even an option? Nikolai had always said Oszkar would take them. Would that offer still stand now that he had run away?

Ramiro frowned. He would at least try.

He steered his horse onto a side road. The path became wider here and he could already see cart tracks. He was getting closer to town. It meant he had to be cautious. He didn't want a run in with the locals. They had caused him enough grief. But all of that would end soon. Before the day was over he would be reunited with the girl he loved.

He spurred on his horse, eager to cover more ground.

Just a little longer.

***

"Good to see your face again, lad," the miller grinned at Harun as they unloaded the next bag of flower. "I thought you might have gone back to your people."

Harun straightened after dropping the heavy bag on the growing stack. "Gone back? My people? What are you talking about?" he gave the man a confused look.

"Them gypsies, lad," the miller smiled, "me and me boy saw a bunch of 'em a few miles back. You'd been gone for a while. I thought you had gone back to them."

Harun shook his head. There was no 'going back' to anything for him. He was not part of that society. It did make him feel anxious. If Leah found out the travelers were near, would she go find them? "Where are they at?" he asked.

"Only a few miles. Somewhere in the Western fields." The miller shrugged. "I don't mind 'em. They leave well alone. Wouldn't go looking for 'em though. You never know eh? They don' like outsiders." He dropped the last bag on the stack and brushed his hands. "That's the lot of it."

Harun nodded. "Lord Blackwood will send your payment in the next few days."

"Don't worry about it, lad," the miller said, "I know he's good for it. Always a pleasure to do business with him, like with his father, rest his soul, a good man he was." He tapped his cap and climbed on the wagon. The miller's son nodded at Harun and flicked the reins.

Harun sighed as the cart drove out of side. He wiped his forehead.

"What was that about gypsies?" Jonathan appeared at his side and looked at him curiously.

"He said the travelers set up camp a few miles down the road," Harun answered.

"Hm," Jonathan mused, "a bit early. They're usually not around til summer solstice."

Harun nodded and bit his lip. He knew the stable master was thinking the same as him. The travelers were here for a reason. And they would not rest until they got back what was theirs.

***

Breakfast was shared around the fire as the men discussed their plan of action. Vali and Marius had returned late last night with rumors of a traveler girl being introduced into gadje society. Young Alec had also come back with valuable information. Apparently Blackwood Manor was only a few miles ahead.