Chapter 5 When the owl sings in the night, death will follow in its flight

“I would have thought you’d have more sense to you,” Aishe scolded them as she threw a towel at Ramiro.
He caught it and started drying off his hair and face.

Aishe turned to Milena, who she had planted on a stool. A dry blanket was over the girl’s shoulders and Aishe dried Milena’s hair with another towel.
“I have sense,” Ramiro countered, “the sense not to let Lenka stand in the rain. If I had no sense I would not have brought her to your wagon.”
The look his grandmother cast at him made him bite his tongue. “Forgive me, Puridaia, I spoke out of place.”
“Aye boy, you did. Do not stand there dripping on my floor. Look onto the shelves for something dry. Now turn around so Lenka can change.”
Ramiro turned his back to the women and Aishe helped Milena out of her gown. “Your father is already cross with you,” she told Ramiro, “must you make matters worse? What if he had seen you?”
“Even my father would understand…,” Ramiro turned to address his grandmother, but she pointed him the other way with a stern look on her face and he was quick to turn his back again. He had found a pair of clothes that had belonged to his grandfather and quickly put them on.
At the other side of the wagon, Milena averted her eyes and felt her cheeks heat up. Men and women did not change in front of one another unless they were wed. At least a curtain would divide the wagon if necessary. But Aishe had a wagon to herself and had no need for such a thing. Even though his back was turned to her, it was not proper.
Aishe sighed as she stepped in front of Milena to block her view. The old women muttered something about children and patience as she helped Milena to dress in one of her own nightgowns.
Outside, the rain had stopped and the thunder was only a vague echo in the darkness.
Aishe pulled Milena to her feet and pushed her towards the bed. “You’re staying here tonight, child.”
Milena sighed and meekly complied. She was used to going back and forth between wagons.
The first few nights she had shared Laszlo’s wagon because she was afraid of everyone else.
Once Daria had won her over, she had shifted to Cezar’s wagon, but when she grew older, Aishe had taken her in.
After Carmen’s husband had died from an infection, Milena had mostly stayed at Carmen’s wagon to help take care of Tsura.
It did not matter anymore which wagon she stayed at.
Aishe turned to Ramiro, who had changed into his dry clothes. “You will return to your father’s wagon. Do not give him more reason to harden his heart. You are both stubborn men.” She shook her head. “I pity your mother and sister.”
Ramiro sighed and glanced at Milena. He was about to say something, but his grandmother pushed him towards the door. “Out!’
She closed the door and sighed.
Milena hung her head and Aishe sighed again. “No tears, child. It’s not the end of the world Go to sleep. We’re leaving early on the morrow and we have to say farewell to Oszkar’s kumpania.” She patted Milena’s hair. “Sleep.”
Milena sighed and closed her eyes. The storm had made her wary. It didn’t take long for the sleep to take her.

***

Oszkar shook Milosh’ hand and grinned widely. “Latcho drom my man. We will meet again at the horsefair. I expect some of your best to be reserved for me, eh.”
Latcho drom,” Milosh said, “it was good to see you.”
“Remember my friend,” Oszkar said, “if you change your mind about my girls, just say the word. They’ll make good wives.”
“I will keep it in mind,” Milosh smirked.
Oszkar’s face turned serious. “One word of advice, my friend. You said you were headed West. Have a care where you set camp. They do not like our people there.”
“They do not like us anywhere,” Milosh answered.
“This is true,” Oszkar acknowledged, “the gadje have filled each other’s minds with untrue stories about our people. There is much fear. Have a care. Keep your young ones close and don’t let the women wander off alone.”
“I hear your words. We will take care.”