Chapter 11 Rumor has it

“Is it true?” Jackson Caldwell looked at his sister in disbelieve, “a gypsy you say?”
“I saw her myself,” Arabella said. An amused smile flashed across her lips. “She’ll be the envy of every debutante. And of others too.”
“Are you saying this girl is prettier than you?” Jackson teased.
Arabella pouted. “No one is prettier than me.”  
“Of course, my lady,” Jackson mock-saluted, “I beg forgiveness.”
Arabella rolled her eyes and slapped his arm with the back of her hand. “Your flattery is wasted on me. Save it for all the desperate young women that flock around you at every banquet.”
“Ah, but I am irresistible, dear sister.”
“You are insufferable you mean.” But there was a twinkle in her eyes. Arabella adored her brother who was her elder by only one year.

The Caldwell family was extremely wealthy, perhaps even more so than the Blackwood family, and the siblings were incredibly spoiled. They were envied by their peers for their luxury and appearance. But they were also generous towards their friends and everyone wanted to be invited to their extravagant banquets.
Jackson ignored his sister’s playful insult. His mind was with the gypsy girl his sister had spoken about. “He hasn’t even told me,” he mused.
“You haven’t seen him since his return,” Arabella said, “when would he have had the time to tell you anything?”
“But it was about time he caused a sandal,” Jackson smirked.
Arabella rolled her eyes. “I’d hardly call it a scandal. I bet Cecily Blackwood would stay in it if it got that far.” She smiled amused. “That party you’re throwing, have you sent the invitations yet?"
“Not yet. Why?”
Arabella’s smile grew wider and Jackson knew that look. She was like a purring cat. She was up to something. “Make sure you invite Katherine.”
“Katherine Goodwin?” Jackson asked, “did you get hit in the head, sister? You dislike her.”
“Don’t be silly, Jackson,” Arabella purred, “I think we will make the best of friends. And as a proper lady, it is my duty to welcome new girls. I’m sure Katherine would agree.” 
Jackson smirked at his sister. “You and your little plotting games,” he said, “I like it when you’re being evil.” 

*** 

“Sastimos!”
“Sar san!”
“Kasko san?”
Voices of other travelers and kumpania* reached their ears from all sides. Many kumpania had already arrived at the annual market and had staked their wagons.
Milosh’ kumpania quietly made their way across the field to find their camping ground.
“We will rest, yes?” Milosh declared, “tomorrow is a day for trade, when everyone will have arrived.” He turned to Alec. “go see if you can catch some birds for the evening meal. Take Luca with you.”
Alec nodded and grabbed his slingshot before running off to fetch Luca.

“Good. You have made it!” two young men approached Milosh’ kumpania.
“Nikolai, Imrich,” Petsha nodded at them.
The two men of Oszkar’s kumpania grinned widely. “Did you take a detour? Normally you would have arrived early. You are one of the last kumpania,” Nikolai noted.
Petsha and Ramiro exchanged glance.
“What is it?” Imrich asked concerned.
Petsha sighed. “We ran across trouble…”
Ramiro turned and walked away from the group without a word. The men from Oszkar’s kumpania watched him with a mix of confusion and concern.
“Where does he go?” Nikolai asked, “Ramiro!”
“Leave him be,” Petsha pleaded, “he is grieving.”
“Grieving?” Nikolai questioned.
Imrich frowned. “You said you came across trouble.”
“Gadje,” Petsha nodded.
Nikolai and Imrich exchanged concerned looks.
“Who?” Nikolai asked quietly.
“The little one,” Petsha answered.
“Carmen’s girl?”
Petsha nodded.
“No wonder he is grieving.”
“Not just her,” Petsha continued. He searched the camp for Ramiro.
The other two followed his gaze. Imrich sighed. “Len…”
“Do not speak her name,” Nikolai hissed. Everyone knew it was bad luck to call the dead by name. He looked at Petsha. “We will tell the story to the other kumpania. Warn them to avoid those parts of the land. The West is the most hostile to our people.”
Petsha nodded sadly.
Nikolai pressed his shoulder. “We are sorry for your losses.”
Imrich looked over his shoulder at their own kumpania. “We need to return now. Oszkar is waiting for us.” He gave Petsha a sympathetic look. “We will speak on the morrow.”
Petsha nodded and embraced his friends before saying goodbye and returned to his own duties.