13- Tell your heart to beat again

The couple exchanged their vows and the groom kissed his bride.

I was so happy, smiling and applauding them along with the guests, that I almost forgot about Gabriel's existence.

He never removed his eyes from me, it made me uncomfortable.

We left the altar and went to the reception, followed by the attendants.

Marie and Julien got ready for their scheduled first dance, and I ran around making sure that the refreshments and desserts were served.

The venue and the decorations were gorgeous. It was a white winter themed wedding, since we were in the middle of January. Jasmine scented candles hung from naked tree branches and spread down the aisle were white leaves, slightly moist so they wouldn't crack when you step on them. 

Nanny caught my hand as I was making rounds to double check on everything.

"What in God's name are you doing silly girl?" She whisper-yelled at me.

"I'm making sure that Marie is having a stress free wedding, by handling all the problems and answering to people, nanny." I almost laughed looking at nanny all riled up and yelling at me as if I still was that teenage girl who never engaged in social events and stayed alone in her room, between her books.

"God, help me!" She sighed, turning me around to face Mr. and Mrs. Ramirez dancing gracefully under the admiring gaze of family and friends, as photographers snapped pictures of them.

"Doesn't she look amazing?" I smiled.

Nanny nodded.

"Of course she does, but I'm not talking about her." I furrowed my brows confused.

"Then, who are you talking about?" I asked.

"Him," she whispered and pointed to the one person I tried to avoid at all costs.

"Gabriel? you know him?" I gasped.

How? 

What?

"You know him too?" Nanny asked as I turned my head to look at him.

He seemed taken aback too, his eyes large watching us intently and his jaw clenching. I stood still, frowning at him.

Something was amiss.

Just as I was getting ready to walk over to him, Jacob ran over to me.

"Ella!" he called.

"J. Is everything okay?" I said still staring at Gabriel.

"The band told me that it was your turn. Did you prepare a song for mom?" I finally laid my eyes on him and noticed that everybody was looking at me, including Marie and Julien.

Shit. I forgot the song thing!

Marie absolutely adored 'Tell your heart to beat again' song. I often caught her singing it or listening to it back in the days. It had a very powerful message behind its lyrics and I found myself addicted to it too.

So today, I decided to gift it to her since she had always told me that she loved my voice.

I gulped.

You can do it, Ella.

Chin up.

I squeezed nanny's hands and walked over to the little spot where the band was seated.

They gave me a mic and I thanked them.

I cleared my throat.

"I want to thank everyone for joining us here today. It's a special day for Marie, who I consider as, a sister, a mother, a friend and most importantly, the only person who has been there for me and my grandmother, through thick and thin, and helped me become who I am today." I started, fighting back my tears as Marie bawled her eyes out and found refuge between Julien's arms.