Chapter 18 - Nobody is better than me

Chapter 18

"Chloe! You came!" Sir said walking over to me. I looked down embarrassed.

"Don't expect anything great" I say quietly.

"Have confidence girl!" He laughed. "Here take this and show us what you've got". He handed me a wooden rounders bat and I sighed.

As sad as this sounds, I may have researched how to play rounders last night. I didn't have a clue what I had to do. Even though I spent hours looking through how to hold a bat practicing with a can of deodorant, I don't somehow think it will have worked.

I made my way the batters square and got my feet into position. From what I had seen before, all the girls here where pros and then there's me.

All eyes where on me as I placed my palm on the bat remembering everything that I read. I nodded at the bowler and all of a sudden a ball was flying towards me.

Stay calm

Stay calm

Then out of nowhere I swung and whacked the ball up into the air. I then took off and legged it past each post.

1st Base

2nd Base

3rd Base

4th Base

Before I knew it I had ran the whole rounders pitch and the fielders still hadn't got the ball.

Okay

All of a sudden claps surrounded me and I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. I turned around to see Mr Hough with a massive smile on his face.

"Congratulations! Your on the team!" He smiled.

"What!!??" I said in disbelief.

"I haven't seen a batter like that in a long time! Maybe 10-15 years ago?"

Ohmygod was this real?

After talking to Sir about training times and extra tuition I was greeted by the team. I heard a round of 'ohmygod your amazing!' Or 'why have you only just joined the team?'. They all seemed really nice. But that was when I saw a girl towards the back of the crowd. She was quite tall and she was just glaring at me.

Have I done something wrong?

After everyone praised me and walked away she came closer to me.

"Well that was impressive". I couldn't tell if she was being sarcastic or not? "Shannon" she said holing out her hand. "Shannon Rowley". I hesitantly took her hand and shook it. "Um... Chloe Evans" I replied a little worried of what she would reply with next.

"So your joining the team?" She asked. I gulped and nodded. "Don't think your better then me" she spat. "I can just see it now, you come into the team, with straight A's, great figure, cute little smile fooling everyone. Well you don't fall me, got that?" I just nodded again a little a fended. Am I really like that?

"I've heard about you" she carried on. "I think we could be great friends" she laughed pulling what was an obvious fake, cheesy smile.

"But just don't forget" she said turning away. "Nobody is better then me".