Chapter 40

Burning. Everything was burning. It was so hot. He couldn’t breathe. Where was she? Where was anyone? What was happening? Why was it so hot?

Loki wiped his brow as the sweat lingered on his skin. The flames teased him, burning his skin and choking his dry throat. Smoke clouded his vision, blurring the scenes before him so he was unsure of what he was really seeing. Shadows danced along the walls, laughing and mocking him. Bodies lay strewn around. They too mocked him, throwing torrents of abuse and torment at him. This wasn’t possible. They were dead. Loki carried on along the hall, his dagger securely in his hold. Mirrors held figures. More laughter. More torment. More torture.

Frost giant. Traitor. Vermin. Kill.

They whispered in between malicious bursts of laughter. Loki shook his head, desperately trying to ignore the hurtful phrases. A flash of red. A cape. Loki ran forward, anxious to see the figure of his brother which had just passed him. Thor stood over a fallen warrior. Fandral. A sick grin plastered his face as Loki reached him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

Little brother. Oh how i have missed you.” He spoke cooly. Loki froze as Thor turned to him, the grin never faltering. His eyes were wide. Loki shook his head. “I have been anxious for you to recover Loki. I had hoped to kill you properly.” Thor said, the grin changing slightly, hatred now clearly shown in his brother’s expression. Loki stepped back, panicked at this unfamiliarity. Thor stepped forward. Loki had no choice. The dagger was in his brother’s chest before he had time to think. Thor fell to the ground, his life seeping away. “Run run little brother. You can stop me but you can never stop the truth.” Thor said finally as his eyes became unseeing. The grin remained. Loki did as his brother had suggested. He ran. Ran and ran until he thought his lungs would give out. The voices did not quieten, their teasing now turning into song.

Run run run the frost giant did,

Ran and ran, away he hid

Away away he betrayed us all

His only wish to see us fall

But oh now frost giant you do not learn

Everyone here must take their turn

Now it is you, you must play your part

To finally destroy your wicked heart.

Loki burst through a pair of double doors. Panting, quivering and exhausted, his pressed his back against them, sliding down to the floor. His hands covered his face as he recovered from the torment. The voices had finally stopped, if only for the moment. Taking a breath, he stood once again. Taking tentative steps, the young prince advanced through the palace, keeping a special eye for anything unusual.

There was noise. The sound of footsteps. Loki perked up eagerly. His pace sped up. He was cautious and yet desperate to see who it was. Long black hair, flew in the foggy breeze as Loki approached. A white dress caught in the wind, swaying around the ankles. Up the steps, they stood facing away from Loki. But that didn’t matter. Loki knew who it was.

Laila.

“Laila my love. Laila it’s me. Can you hear me?”

Laila turned slowly, the dress catching against her thin frame. Loki smiled as he caught sight of her beauty once more. At last he could feel relief. Approaching her, his arms wrapped comfortably around her waist. Laila smiled against his hold, appearing comforted by his presence.

“Loki.” She said calmly. Loki tightened hold, too afraid to let go.

“I’m here.”