Chapter 38

I know I know. I've not been here for a while. Kinda lost inspiration for the story for a bit and nothing seemed to flow. I really shouldn't keep you guys waiting. So I'm sorry for that. But I'm here now and I have a lovely chunky chapter for you all and I hope you enjoy it.

Lots of Loki love from me

- Z xx

Loki made his way to the great hall. His footsteps were heavy and seem to echo around the now desolate area. The main part of the war was happening behind him. No one would think to come up here which is why everyone believed the Frigga to be safe. Now Laufey was with her. The thought turned Loki’s stomach with dread. Dim candles flickered softly against the golden walls, reflecting their light and brightening up the place; their gentle light a great contrast to the world in which Loki had now been thrown into.  Images of the war and the numerous scenes he had witnessed filtered through his mind, sparking up the hatred that burned in the pit of his stomach. His eyes clouded over with a dark aura and a cold hard stare as he finally reached the doors to the hall. He paused for a second and inhaled deeply. He needed to be ready. This could be the last time that he experienced peace and tranquillity. He could die; as could Laufey. He needed to concentrate. He was doing this for Laila. She was waiting for him. She’d always be waiting for him.

Letting out his breath, Loki pushed open the doors. The hall looked just as it had the day before. Odin’s throne stood proud at the top of the room, its seat empty and inviting. Loki had never considered his adoptive father’s location until that moment; he considered the reason to be because of the betrayal and hurt Odin had caused him. He allowed the memory to pass out of his mind. There was no time for looking back and remembering. Looking around again he noticed the tables that were pushed against the sides. The sun filtered through the windows, creating beams of light to fall upon the floor. It was strange how much detail one noticed when one knew they were about to face possible death. Loki advanced forward, cautious in his movements. Ahead he could hear a strange noise coming from behind the pillar in front of him; it was a mixture of the sounds of gagging and coughing. Loki quickened his pace just slightly. He reached level with the pillar and noticed the blue satin of his mother’s dress peeking from behind. Ignoring his warrior instincts, he rushed to her aid and knelt beside her, taking her hand in his. She stared at him, her eyes unable to focus properly. Loki squeezed her hand in reassurance.

“Mother? Mother it’s me. It’s Loki. It’s okay. You’re safe now. I’ll protect you I promise.” He tried to comfort, although he struggled to believe his own words that he preached. He had no idea if he would be able to protect Frigga. She smiled weakly.

“Loki.” She said breathlessly, with relief seeping into her voice. Loki nodded, secretly hoping that Thor would appear soon so he could take Frigga out of harm’s way. A wisp of cold air chilled the atmosphere of the room. Loki froze, his body tense and alert. A cold voice rang through the hall.

“She’s not your mother Loki. You know that.” Laufey’s voice demeaned. Loki snarled as he turned around. Laufey smirked as he faced his son once more, his weapon of choice already growing on his arm. Loki glanced from his mother to Laufey. He had to keep her safe until Thor arrived. He had to keep Laufey distracted.

“She’ll always be my mother Laufey.” He retaliated. Laufey laughed.

“How touching. Loki wants his dear mother. I thought you were so much better. I raised you better than that.” Laufey spat. Loki felt the anger crawling up his throat and escaping through his pursed lips.

“Raised me?! You didn’t raise me! You left me to die on a frozen rock in the temple of the palace. You had no intention of raising me as your own. You wanted me dead as soon as possible. Except  your plan didn’t work because my family saved me. It’s not hatred that’s brought you here Laufey. It’s jealousy. You’re jealous that I’m still alive; that I didn’t die, like you had planned, on that day.” Loki growled. Laufey said nothing. The silence enveloped the room; revealing the truth between father and son. Loki chuckled to himself after a few seconds passed. “And here I was hoping that I would be wrong. That you would defend yourself. Prove to me that my father wasn’t the heartless monster that I had learned about during my childhood.” He admitted with a hint of disappointment coming over his features. Laufey growled again his body taking a stance. Loki tensed, raising his sword out of its holder. Another moment of silence passed between the pair; a sign that this was how things would end. Laufey struck first, taking to a sprint as he ran towards Loki at full force. Loki braced himself for the impact. It came moments later. The collision of ice against metal rang through the hall as Loki held against his father. Noises of determination came from the pair of them as they fought to gain the upper hand. Laufey managed a small chuckle in the midst of his groans of determination.