Chapter 31

Chapter 31! Two in one night?! I'm on a roll people. This one is just a filler chapter though so its very short. Either way, I hope you enjoy!

Lots of Loki love from me!

- Z xx

The Asgardian sun rose over the palace, its sunlight filtering through the windows and lighting up the rooms. Loki opened his eyes, temporarily blinded by the sunlight before smiling at the view. Laila was still sleeping, her black curls falling around her face and her expression calm and relaxed. Loki reached up and kissed her on the forehead gently. At his touch, Laila’s eyes fluttered open. Blinking slowly, she glanced around the room before her gaze fell upon Loki. A soft smile broke on her lips.

“Morning love.” Loki spoke sleepily. Laila gave him a quick kiss before replying

“Morning.” She said softly. Loki reached for Laila hand and intertwined his fingers with hers. Minutes passed, neither of them moving. Both content in each other’s company. However their pleasure was short lived as a shrill knocking caused them both to jump in surprise. Their hands broke apart as Loki reluctantly got up and dressed into simple robes. The knocking was persistent. Loki growled as he approached the door. Whoever knocked better have a good reason for their disturbance.

“Oh, Thor it’s you.” Loki grumbled. The older prince ignored the tone in Loki’s voice.

“Loki I need to speak to you. The matter is urgent!” Thor whispered hurriedly. “It concerns the safety of Princess Laila.” He explained. Loki perked up.

“Why? What’s happened? Is she in any danger?” Loki asked worriedly. Thor took Loki’s arm and walked him away from the door so they could not be overheard by Laila herself.

“Listen Loki, Father thinks that Asgard is under threat. He thinks the threat comes from Jotunheim and Laufey.” Thor stated hurriedly. Loki’s eyes widened for a second before creasing into a frown. He rubbed his temples and sighed in distress.

“I knew I shouldn’t have left Jotunheim. None of this would be happening if I had stayed there.” Loki muttered as he began to pace up and down the corridor. Thor instantly piped up with more concerning news.

“ Loki, that’s another thing I have to tell you. Father doesn’t think Laufey is after you. If he was, then he could just destroy your mind with the link and just make your body go back to Jotunheim.” Thor explained.

“Sounds delightful.” Loki added sarcastically. “So what are you suggesting?” he questioned in anticipation. Thor averted his gaze, wishing he didn’t have to tell.

“Father thinks Laufey is after Laila, Loki. He’s after her to kill her. That way he can hurt you and crush your spirit. If there’s nothing left for you here, then he thinks you’ll go back to Jotunheim and live under his rule.” Thor said regrettably. Loki froze realising the danger Laila was potentially in.

“We need a plan. She has to be safe. She cannot come to harm Thor. I promised to protect her. We could... We could send her to one of the local villages. I know some people that would keep her safe! They would risk their lives for her! Or...Or we could send her temporarily to..to a-” Loki stammered and stuttered, desperately trying to think of a safe place for his love. Thor cut him off, placing a hand on each of Loki’s shoulders.

“Loki just calm down. I know that your love for Laila is unbreakable and undeniably strong. I can tell. I know it breaks your heart to see her in trouble and in danger and that you feel you must always be the one to protect her,” Loki looked up to Thor, his eyes moist. Thor continued. “But this isn’t one of those times brother. I have friends. Friends that are willing to help me should a problem arise here in Asgard. I have already spoken to them. They have agreed to look after Laila if, or when, Laufey attacks.” Thor reassured. Loki was sceptical.

“Who are these ‘friends’ of yours?” He asked in curiosity. Thor explained briefly and in slight anticipation of an outburst.

“They are Midgardians. B..But they have powers! Powers than usual Midgardians do not wield! They can protect her.” Thor rushed. It took Loki a while to respond.

“You want me to send my lover, who i have been away from for almost a year, to another realm?” Loki said in astonishment and also in disgust. Thor nodded. Loki shook his head defiantly. “No. I can’t Thor. I won’t be able to see her. How will I know how she is?” He argued. Thor sighed. He knew Loki wouldn’t like the idea.

“Loki I know it’s hard to let her go but it’s the only way you’ll keep her safe. If Laufey decides to attack then he could also target the villages and if Laila is there he could find her. I’m not doing this to spite you Loki. I just don’t want you both to get hurt. It’s the safest way.” Thor encouraged. Loki ran his hand through his mass of morning hair and contemplated for a moment. Eventually he replied.

“Okay. Fine. Should Laufey attack we’ll send her to Midgard; to your friends.” He said slowly, reluctantly. Thor nodded and squeezed his shoulder in reassurance.

“She’ll be alright Loki. I promise.” He comforted. Loki nodded silently and went back to his chambers where Laila was waiting. Laila instantly noticed something was wrong and frowned in concern.

“Loki? Is everything alright?” she asked worriedly. Loki looked up to meet Laila’s gaze and gave a fake smile.

“Fine. Everything is fine.” He replied. Laila waited for a second before striding up to Loki and hugging him tightly.

“Well whatever it is, I hope it sorts itself out soon. Don’t like to see you stressed and worried.” She said softly. Loki smiled sadly and tightened his hold on her, kissing the top of her head lightly before replying.

“I love you.” He whispered. Laila smiled slightly.

“I love you too.” She said warmly. Loki broke from the hug.

“Laila i just want you to know that whatever happens in the future, I will never abandon you okay? I swear to you that I will protect you.” Loki kissed her forehead before resting his head against hers. “You’re my world.” He whispered. Laila looked up into Loki’s eyes and noticed the worry that clouded them.

“Loki? What’s wrong?” She asked again. The pair broke again from each other. Laila linked her hand with Loki’s and tried to get something, anything from him, but it was pointless. Loki just shook his head, remaining silent. Then, with one last kiss to Laila, he strode out of the room. His head bowed and his stance slumped. The stance of someone who had lost.

That's it! It's not much. Won't be posting again for a bit. I've got another chapter I could post but then I'm back at putting the story on hold because the updates will have caught up with me yet again. But do not fret! I am working on this as we speak. (Well not literally) and I will try and update within the next week or two.

Much love!

- Z xx