Chapter 7

The next morning, Laila woke and found a blanket had been wrapped around her. One of the guards must have checked on Loki and put it on her. Reminding herself of Loki, Laila turned to look at him in his bed and with grief she realised. He would be dead now. She couldn’t believe he was gone. With a chest that felt it would burst, Laila laid her head on Loki’s bed and let out the tears that had threatened to drown her over the last few days. Between tears, she spoke to Loki “I love you Loki. Sleep well my angel.” She said softly. As she lay there crying, she felt something touch her hand. Lifting up she realised that it was Loki’s hand that had moved. But that was impossible. He couldn’t move. He was dead. Laila looked up and took the hand that had apparently moved. She spoke with a quiet voice “Loki?” Laila knew she was being foolish, to think that he would answer. She waited for a couple of seconds before releasing a breath that she had been holding and running her fingers through her matted hair with a shaky hand. He was gone. For definite.  Getting up from the chair, she placed herself at the edge of the bed and once again kissed Loki on the head before placing her head and hands on the mattress and weeping to herself.

.........................

                                                                                                                                                                                  Meanwhile Loki opened his eyes. Looking up he could see that he was in his own chambers. The memories of what happened on that night were still a jumbled mess in his mind but he didn’t care. All that mattered was that he’d made it. He was alive. Turning his head he saw Laila in the chair with her head in her hands. He smiled. He was glad to see her. With forced strength he reached for her hand and touched it gently whilst  speaking out to her.

“If you cry anymore, we could have a flood on our hands.” He croaked with a weak smirk. Laila lifted her head up and looked at Loki. It took her a few seconds to take in what she was seeing. Finally she spoke

“Loki? Loki, oh my god! You’re alive!” She jumped up and hugged him gently. Loki returned the hug with as much strength as he could muster. Eventually they broke off. Loki saw that Laila was crying again but with tears of joy. When Laila realised this she began to laugh. She apologised before wiping her eyes. Loki smiled.

“Miss me?” He joked. Laila took his hand and chuckled

“You bet. It was lonely without you around to cheer us up.” She replied. Loki tried to sit up in his bed but his chest panged with agony. Laila placed her hand on his shoulder and eased him back down so he was, once again, lying down and spoke with a soothing voice “No Loki, you must rest. Please. Don’t strain yourself.” Loki relaxed again and gave a weak smile to Laila. Laila glanced towards the door “I should go and get your family. I know they’ll be overjoyed by your return.” Loki took Laila’s hand in his and shook his head

“Just a few more minutes. Please. I want you to stay with me. Let us enjoy the peace and quiet a little longer.” He spoke, a little breathless. Laila didn’t understand why he wanted to spend time with her, but she sat down again anyway. Loki gave her a warm smile before clearing his throat and speaking to her “Laila there’s something I want to confess to you.” Loki began. Laila rolled her eyes and smiled.

“You’ve been awake for five minutes and you already want to confess something? Oh dear. You didn’t spit in my meal at the feast did you? Because I swear that if you did –” she stopped when Loki chuckled to himself and laughed with him. Then, suddenly, as if someone had flicked a switch, Loki lurched in agony as his chest was shot with an agonising throbbing. Laila’s smile quickly disappeared as Loki’s grip on her hand tightened. Laila tried to remain calm “Loki it’s okay. You’re fine. Just breathe okay.” She began to breathe deeply so Loki could copy her. Eventually Loki returned to normal and he was able to relax again. He lay back down and spoke to Laila

“Thank you.” He forced out. Laila smiled with sympathy

“Any time.” She said with relief. She looked towards the door once again before speaking

“I should really go and get your parents. It’s not fair for them to think you’re dead while we’re having a reunion.” Loki was about to remind her that he had to tell her something, when he decided against it. He would tell her later. Besides, she was right. It was time that his parents and brother were informed of his return.