Chapter Two

Hope you are enjoying it so far! x Two chapters tonight. The picture is how I imagine Idella.

Chapter Two

When we arrived back at our farm house, I could tell my father's cheery mood dropped. I knew he hated when I left for school and I hated leaving him by himself. Tonight I would stay with Idella at her house and travel to Salem Academy with her family in the morning. "Now you promise you are just going to hang out at Idella's tonight? And you're going to use the Floo network to get to Salem? And you're going to stay away from muggle streets and walk strictly on the sidewalks?" he said all at once.

My father used to be fascinated with muggle devices, that was until one killed his wife and child. The only place my father kept actual photographs was above the fireplace. Our family picture stood in the center with my lovely petite mother Cheyenne and young brother Miles smiling widely at us. My father always told me how much I looked like my mother with the dark straight brown hair and tan skin. Yet my blue eyes reflected his. 

My mother was a muggle nurse and on one of her only days off she took us to the movies. It was a late movie and on our way home, a drunk driver crashed into our car, killing my mother and brother, and nearly killing me. It devastated my father. He wasn't the same for years. At the time of the accident I was nine. His fascination of muggle creations turned into utter fear. Being a half-blood, a large part of my life was spent doing muggle activities up until that moment. That was the very last day I was ever involved in a muggle society. Never again have I driven in a car. My father isolated us out to the countryside, I got very little muggle experiences after that. He avoided it at all cost.

Looking at the picture my heart ached every time. It was so unfair. They were taken from me so soon, taken from my father. Why was I the one to survive? I suffered severe injuries, but my father managed to bring in a healer from the Ministry to heal me. The hospital believed it to be a miracle. "Yes dad you don't have to worry," I answered understanding his paranoia. "You know Idella's parents. There is no muggle anything at their house," I added with a sympathetic smile hoping to reassure him a bit. Idella's pureblood parents were traditional, not so much to the power hungry part, but they were against muggle interaction. "I promise." He nodded.

I brought my suitcase and travel bags downstairs to the Floo network. Looking down, Odila was at my feet. "Of course I'm not forgetting you," I said bending down and picking up my cat. My mother bought me Odila when I was seven. She was beautiful with her bright orange fur and white paws, Odila went almost everywhere with me. I turned to look at my dad, giving him a big hug as I managed to hold onto Odila. "Goodbye Dad," I said. "I'll write as much as I can."

"You better," he said with a hint of laughter. "Please be safe." I nodded stepping back and lighting up the Floo network. "I love you," he added quickly.

"I love you too. I'll be home for Thanksgiving," I replied. "Baynes Manor." Stepping into the fire pit the green flames engulfed me and I was sucked into them. I was so used to traveling by the Floo Network the fast motion movements barely phased me anymore. My feet hit the stone ground of the Bayne's fireplace.

"Just in time!" I heard a voice exclaim as Idella rushed into the room. My crazy best friend came rushing into the room wearing ripped jean shorts and tank top with a hint of dirt on it. Her curly red hair was tied up in a messy bun. I remember first meeting Idella.

I remember how shy and afraid I was on the first day. After we moved to Pennsylvania, I very rarely associated with any kids my age. We didn't have many neighbors around my age unfortunately. The only time I saw any other kids was when my father and I visited his work friends or if they came to our house. Selina was who I saw most, even more unfortunately. It wasn't that we hated one another, we just didn't see eye to eye. In my opinion she was superficial, selfish, and arrogant but I'm sure she saw me in a bad light as well. It all went back to how we were brought up. I was actually horrified that I wasn't going to make any friends at school because of Selina. I was secretly afraid she would turn the others against me. I was even more afraid of being sorted into the same house as her, considering all of our family members have been in the same one. Then the sorting happened, and I was the odd one out. Thank Merlin for that.