4(pt. 1)

How Jk and Th look:

~~~~

"Now it's-" I look at my wrist watch"- 5:10 and we need to get started. First, I will-" I am cut off by a loud commotion going on. I see an ambulance rush in, and two people run out the back of it, holding up a gurney with an elder laying in it. I look back at my students and show a signal 'stay here I'll be back'. Thank God they get it.

There are little to no doctors in these parts of the hospital yet and for.some reason I was not informed that an ambulance was coming.

The paramedics come rushing in, and I get a good look at the elder. 

'Late 40s to early 50s. Her right side is drooped... could be cancer.' 

I hurry to the still somewhat conscious patient's gurney, and take out my pen-light.

I swipe my pen-light momentarily over her left eye,but as I am doing that, I notice her eyes aren't responding at all.

"Shit..." I whisper to myself.

For normal eyes, once light hits at least one of them, both should contract, and then with the light sources gone the eyes should expand to their original size. This shows me that she has a intracranial lesion, or in other words an expanding tissue within the brain.

Just to make sure my hypothesis is correct, I check her other eye and do the same thing.

It doesn't dilate, just as I suspected, and her pupils are somewhat oval shaped. Also shows me that she has intracranial hypertension (high blood pressure in the brain). Both of these are normally seen when a formation is forming within the brain.

"Yi Seo Yun. 53, known stage four brain cancer." The paramedic says, as I do a very quick check up. "Right side paralysis.  Malignant tumor in the left cerebral hemisphere." 

"Get me her files! And get an MRI and CT done, now!" I tell some nurses, and then I tell the front desk.

They wheel her away, and I go back to the group of residents.

"Now you all are probably wondering what the hell is going on." I see some confused faces but through all of them, I see a determined face. I make eye contact with him. "This is a chance for one of you to prove yourselves. Every surgery that I have right now, I will have one of you be my personal assistant all throughout the process... that is if you can handle it. For the first timers, this may be new to you, and for the people who've been here for a while, this may be a breeze." I look to all of my subs. "Let me clarify. I do not care what type of background you come from, and I don't care how high or experienced you are in this field. I pick, based on who will best succeed in this industry." 

One of the nurses hands me a file.

"The MRI and CT scans are in OR 4 along with the patient... She's stabilized. Were ready to start whatever emergency procedure you need to do when you are, Doctor Kim." The female nurse tells me.

I quickly scan the files looking to find anything that stands out, "I will also be having one of my residents proceed as my assistant throughout this process, Nurse Lee. Get Jeon Jungkook a pair of scrubs." I geture to the brunette haired boy.

"Right on it, Doctor." She immediately scurries away.

"What?" Jungkook asks, bewildered.

I peer up from the files. "You are going to be my assistant for this procedure.... Why?" I smirk. "Are you not ready? If you're not I -"

"I am! It's just..." He starts.

"It's just what, Rookie? Not ready? Always be ready. Shocked? Get over it. Scared? Get out." 

The nurse huries back with the scrubs in hand, and gives them to me.

"Here you are, Doctor." The nurse walks back to the nurses' station getting ready for the surgery that's about to take place.

 I fling the neatly folded scrubs to Jungkook, and he surprisingly catches it.

"The rest of you will watch from a monitor. Any questions? Good, let's go." 

Everything is set up, and the surgery is about to begin.

The MRI scan showed that the tumor is buried within the precentral gyrus (incharge of motor functions), which means we're removing it. We used stereotaxy to pinpoint the precise location of the tumor.

"Micro-drill." I tell Jungkook as he is by my side, and my little helper.

He stays still.

"Micro-drill." I say once again, but slower. 

He looks at me.

I know that look all too well.... Cause I was once in his shoes.

"Jungkook... Breathe." I wanted to be hard on him. I wanted to be hard on all of them so they know not everything is peaches and cream, but all that 'tough guy' act went straight down the drain when I saw that look in his eyes. "It's okay." I reassure him. We're looking at each other. "We're together in this. I'm right here. Now... The drill." He breathes in and out, and the drill is in my hands.

'We're back in business.'