2

"Okay, how are you feeling, Mrs. Yang? Any pain? Dizziness?" I am in the middle of changing the gauze and wrap around a patient's head. Also checking for swelling and discoloration.

"No."

"Okay, well you seem to have just a little bit of swelling, but it's definitely not as bad as last time. I'll have to come back later for another checkup." I finish wrapping a new bandage around her head. "Anymore headaches?"

"I actually feel like i'm ready to just do a hop, a skip, and a little jig."

I laugh. She always finds a way to make me laugh.

"Well that's good, Mrs. Yang, but I think that the anti-inflammatory and the pain medicine we had to use is just working a little too well..." I scratch the back of my neck.

She chuckles and there's a peaceful silence as I begin filling out, and updating her files.

"You know, you are such a handsome man. So brave and strong..." The elder woman looks off somewhere.

"Thank you, Mrs. Yang." I say sitting down on the chair next to her bed.

Mrs. Yang is really the only person I can open up to. I've told her about me being gay, and some struggles that i've been through working here, though leaving out some... things.... she's honestly like the mother I never had...

She was a family friend when I  was growing up. I was always close to her, however, once I went to college, we lost contact. I haven't seen her since. It wasn't until just a little while ago I was transferred to her case.

"You need to eat and sleep more, dear." Mrs. Yang starts up again looking me in my eyes. "You're a twig. I was young once, so I know what make up looks like." She chuckles as she holds my face with her pale hands giving me a warm look. "And get out more too! By the time I'm out of here, you better have a ring on that finger!" Mrs. Yang holds my hand.

"Mrs. Yang!" I can feel the blush on my cheeks as my eyes go wide. "I-I can't. My job... doesn't really allow me to 'get out there'. I live in my office for Pete's sake!" I'm flustered, but the elder beside me isn't budging.

"I. Don't. Care. I better see your boyfriend, or fiance"- She winks-" before I die. You'll find a way, dear, trust me. I used to be a nurse myself and look at me now. I have five kids, a husband, and seven grandbabies... Promise me you'll at least try. Promise me not everything you see will be inside these hospital walls."

"Mrs. Ya-"

"Promise me, Taehyung."

I sigh.

"I promise..."