Chapter 4

I swing my bat back and forth and hit nothing. "Stop! Stop! Leave me alone I just need the ring!" A little voice screams in my ear. I stop.

     "Ring? WHAT RING?" I ask, my voice a mix of fear and anger.

     "This one. Now I have to be getting back, so sorry to scare you. Goodbye."

     I turn to see my ring. My mother's ring, being carried by a tiny, winged person. I don't know how, but there was not a doubt in my mind that there was an actual fairy standing right in front of me. before I do anything else, I dash to my window and slam it shut and lock it. Then, without hesitation, run across my room and shove a t-shirt under the space between the floor and my door. "The hell you're taking my ring anywhere!"

     "OK little girl, I didn't want this to be hard but you give me no choice." she tells me.

     "Adelaide?! Addie what happened? Are you alright?" Grandma's voice came from the hallway.

     "Gramma don't open the-"

     My bedroom door flies open and my grandma stops and stares at the fairy standing on my dresser. "Addie, do you see her too?" she whispers.

     "Yeah! And she's trying to take mom's ring! Quick! Shut the door!"

    Just then the fairy leaps and flies towards the still open door, still holding my ring. Grandma's not fast enough and it slips through the door and flies downstairs.

    "NO! Grandma we have to catch her!"

    "We'll get her! Let's go!"

     I'm so glad grandma's being so cool about this right now. We run down stairs, well I run, Grandma sort of power walks. "Where is she?? Do you see her?" I piratically scream.

     "There! In the kitchen!"

     Sure enough, there she is, trying to open our kitchen window. I bolt towards her and reach for her, but she avoids me no problem. For what seems like forever, me and grandma chase this thing around the entire house. I finally got a hold of her for a split second, but just as quickly as I got her she slipped away. I got all covered in the sparkly gold stuff in the process. She slips under our front door and grandma opens the door. We run outside and search the sky. I could barely make out a tiny ball of light moving slowly away. I look at grandma, defeated and on the verge of tears. I expect to see her crying too, but she's looking at me in shock and amazment. "Grandma? What's worng?" i ask.

     "Addie... you're.. flying." she almost whispered the last word.

     "Flying? Grandma what are you-" and then I realize it. I am flying! Oh my god!!!! I'm FLYING! Then the idea hits me. "Grandma, I have to go after her." I land next to her, waiting for her to tell me no.

     "I know..." she says.

      I'm surprised she didn't argue with me. At all. It almost scared me, but I know this is what I have to do.

     "A- are you sure? I don't know when I'll be back. I don't know where I'm going. What about the ranch?"

     "Just be safe. I'll take care of everything."

     This feels like some bizzar dream. I can't believe I'm really going to chase after some random fairy.Wait. How do I know I'm not dreaming? I mean come on! A fairy? I may love Peter Pan and fairy tales but they're all fake! Aren't they..? And if this is all real, what could I possibly be getting myself into? I almost want to just say no and stay here, but the knowing that if I do I'll loose the only thing left of my mom pushes me to make my final decision.

     "I will. I love you Grandma, I'll be back soon."

     "I love you to sweetie. Now go!"

     And with that, I take off into the night sky, chasing a small ball of light, and away from everything I know and love. I turn back for a second and my house and my grandma are barely visible anymore. Fiercely determined, I turn back to the fairy and pick up my speed. You're not getting away that easy. I'm right behind you.