Chapter 27

The steady beat of drums woke me up early the next  morning.  I struggled to fall asleep again, but Jaz proudly strode into the tent, perky and somehow wide awake before the sun was even fully up.

     "Good morning!" He sang out. He stopped and stared for a second at the sight of me in Nick's arms, who was still sound asleep, but brushed it off. "Come on you two! Get up!" He came over and pulled me to my feet. I gasped a little then held my breath. But I didn't feel dizzy at all, and my arm felt great. But I was going on maybe five hours of sleep, and I didn't appreciate that. 

     I swung my right arm and punched Jaz in the shoulder, not hard or anything, but I think I got my point across. 

     He swore, at least, I assume he swore, in his language and rubbed his shoulder.

     "What was that for?" He complained.

     "For making me get up before the rest of the island." I muttered back groggily.

     "But most of the island is up, Addie!" Jaz exclaimed with a little cheer. 

     "Aww did the little baby get hurt by the big bad girl." Nick teased Jaz with his eyes still closed. I noticed his accent was still there.

     "Oh be quiet you!" Jaz laughed and kicked Nick in the stomach, causing him to grunt.

     "Damn! Jaz it's too early for this crap!" Nick complained.

     "Woah, the accent's back huh?" Jaz raised his eyebrow at me. "When did that happen?"

     "Last night, I guess." I shrugged my shoulders.

     "I almost forgot that you're human, Zee." Jaz laughed softly. "I guess Addie brings out some of the best in us."

     "Yeah." Nick-- Zee agreed. He sniffed the air. "Mmmm somethin's cookin'!" 

     "That's what I've been trying to say!" Jaz pulled Zee to his feet. "The feast is already starting! And our guest of honor," He gestured to me. "needs to get ready!"

     Someone called Jaz from outside. "I have to get back out there, please try to hurry!" He smiled and abruptly left.

     "Sooo... what am I going to wear?" I asked casually.

     "Well.... I suppose these will have to do." He walked to the other end of the tent and grabbed a small sack. He handed it to me and smiled.

     'My clothes!"

     "Yeah, sorry I forgot to give them to you last night, I completely forgot about them."

     "Mmmhmm, suuuure." I teased. "You just couldn't resist an opportunity to whip off your shirt."

     He flexed a couple times. "C'mon, Addie, you know you can't resist this."

     I pushed him to the side. "Watch me." I laughed. I took his shirt off and threw it back at him.

     "Hey, is there a way I could clean up a bit before the party?" I ask him.

     "Sure! I'll take you to the lake if you want?"

     "Awesome. Let's go."

     We crawled under the back of the teepee so we could get to the lake unnoticed. Zee explained that if anyone were to see me, all hell would break loose and the party would get crazier from there. I'd be ambushed by people wanting to talk to the human girl who took on Hook.

     As we walked away from the camp I felt myself breathe a little easier. It was really almost over. I'd hang at this party for a couple hours then I'm home free. I could finally sleep in my own bed tonight! Although I think I'm gonna end up sleeping in Gram's bed with her in all honesty.