Chapter 37

Peter's P.O.V.

     "Nosh!" I yell for him as soon as the camp comes into view. "Nosh, help!" I tilt myself down and glue my eyes onto his tent. I keep shouting as loud as I can, and within seconds all the women and children are scurrying out of their tents and looking in my direction. But so far I haven't seen Nosh.  "NOSH!"  

     His head pokes out of his tent just as I fly through the entrance of the camp. His eyes grow wide when he notices I'm carrying someone and quickly rushes aside, allowing me to fly straight into his tent. I try to land as smoothly as I can and hold my breath as I gently lay Addie down on the pile of furs that serves as a bed in Nosh's tent.

     "Peter? Who is it boy? Is it ja... Oh!" I've never seen Nosh scared, not once in my entire life. He's always managed to appear calm as he treated people. But now, he's completely white. His eye look ready to pop out of his head as they travel over Addie's body, and he doesn't appear to be breathing.

     "Oh..." Nosh snaps out of his shocked state and runs to his supply box, mumbling a prayer I've never heard before. He trips over his own feet as he rushes back over to us, and shoos me back with a shaking hand. I reluctantly let go of Addie and take a few steps back, locking my eyes onto Nosh's face.

     He starts at her feet, which are probably the only part of her body that are unharmed. He, realizing this, doesn't spend more than a few seconds looking at them before he moves to her legs. He knees are scratched up and bloody, my guess from kneeling so much while trying to break free of the chains. His eyes travel up and freeze at her stomach. Slowly lifting a small knife, he slices the shirt open and carefully peels it away, but I can see it tugging at her skin. There was so much blood that it was practically a part of her skin. I shift my gaze to Addie's face as he does this. It scrunches up slightly, but then relaxes again.

     "What?" Nosh whispers to himself. I look down at Addie's stomach and voice my confusion as well. Addie's stomach was caved in and her ribs were exposed, making it clear that she hadn't eaten in a long time, but there were no wounds. Nosh and I share a look.

     "All that blood.... I don't understand." I mutter walking over and standing next to him. I tilt my head slightly and notice there's more blood near her back than there is on her stomach. "Nosh. look." I say pointing it out to him.

     "Good eye boy." He says softly. "Help me turn her." I float over Addie and stand on the other side of her. I place my fingertips under her and look up at Nosh. "On three, you turn her towards me... One.. two.. " Addie's scream cuts me off before I can say three.

                                                           Addie's P.O.V.

     The pain in my back suddenly intensifies, pulling me back into consciousness. I shock myself yet again by screaming bloody murder and I feel my body being turned over. For a moment I forget that Peter and the Indians had found me, and I can't stop the tears. "Please stop!" I beg against my better judgment. "Please Hook you've done enough!" my voice is raspy, and the most pathetic thing I've ever heard.

     "Addie! Addie it's me! It's Peter! You're ok, Hook isn't here! You're safe." I open my eyes and see Peter kneeling beside me through me through my tears. It all came back to me then.

     "Peter? Where are we?" I ask, still sobbing. He immediately inches closer to me and gently brushes his fingertips under my eyes, wiping my tears away.

     "Shhh, Ads stop crying." He whispers soothingly. "We're in Nosh's tent."

     "Oh.. How long have we..AHH!" I cry out in pain again as something touches my back. When I open my eyes again, I see Peter staring at my back in horror.