Chapter 26

Hey guys! I'm dedicating this chapter to @MaddieRose101. She's been amazing! Giving so much positive feedback and just loving this book. Thanks so much Maddie, you ROCK!  :D

      I pushed myself as hard as I could to keep up with Zee as we ran through the Neverwood. The torch he carried wasn't very helpful in general, but since we were running, the wind flew over it, causing it to be dimmer. Zee clearly knew where he was going, and seemed to know exactly when to jump over a log or around a tree. Me? I was trying my hardest not only to develop night vision, but not break a leg as I continuously tripped over things. 

     I was focusing so hard on watching the ground that I didn't notice Zee had ducked. I ran dead on into a think, lower branch of a tree. The wind was knocked out of me again, and I was on my back in a matter of seconds. My head whipped back and slammed the ground.

     I groaned and grabbed my head. "Damn." 

     "Are you alright?!" Zee had already turned back and was leaning over me. 

     "I'll be fine, just have to catch my breath." I opened my eyes and looked at him. Even though I felt guilty, I had to admit. He was hot! The low light from the torch made his carmel eyes look as if they were on fire, his hair was falling out of his pony tail, and I just realized that he was wearing a very loose tunic like shirt, his very toned abs exposed. But, as hot as he was, I knew I would never feel anything for him. He was just my friend. My extremely good looking friend. I was going to have extremely high standards for guys once I got back home.

     "Here, let's sit you up." Zee placed one hand behind my head, and the other on my back. Using my right arm, and his help, I sat up and took a deep breath. 

     "Let's keep going." I stood up and turned to him.

     "Are you sure? We could stop for a while-"

     "I'm positive." I cut him off with a smile. "We need to get there fast. Before Jaz completely looses it."

   "You're right." Zee nodded. "Come on, it's not much farther. He offered his hand and I took it, I didn't need to run into anything anymore.

     We took off running again, but at a slightly slower pace. I struggled to fill my lungs with air and ignore the pain in my arm. I focused on Zee's back, mimicking his every move. Soon we broke through the trees. Still running, I was awed by the scene before me. We were running on a cliff, it seemed to look over the entire island. The clouds had completely cleared, showing a full moon. The light illuminated the valley we were passing over. A decent sized lake stood in the middle of the deep valley, and I could just barely make out a few figures standing around it, throwing what I assumed was a net into the water. I betrayed myself and looked off into the distance and found what I was looking for. On the complete opposite side of the island, stood what anyone else would see as just another random tree. But I knew different. I sighed as we crossed into the woods again and the trees blocked my view.

     "Almost there." Zee whispered back. He thought I was sighing from running. If only... I was beginning to hear voices, and the familiar smell of smoke attacked my nostrils. I almost shivered at the memory of being held captive here, but then I remembered. The Chief was dead. As much as I felt pain for Zee, I was secretly relived. He was the one that I had feared. And maybe it was for the best, because the improvements made to the camp under Jaz's rule were noticeable right away.

     As we passed through a little archway right before the camp, a horn sounded and all activity in the camp ceased. People ran towards us and we finally stopped next to a huge Totem Pole. Zee bent over, hands on knees, breathing deeply, and I squatted down next to him, leaning my back against the pole. Being me, I held out a hand. He laughed and rolled his eyes, but he slapped my hand back.