Chapter Twenty-Nine: All For One...

            “Ah, ah, ah...” they all joined in as Noah began strumming the notes on the guitar.

            “Hey baby, won’t you look my way? I could be your new addiction…” Mason sang.

            “Hey baby, what you gotta say? All you’re giving me is fiction,” Aiden sang.

            “I’m a sorry sucker and this happens all the time,” Declan sang out to the audience and winked at a couple of the girls staring at him.

            “I found out that everybody talks, everybody talks, everybody talks,” Owen and Noah harmonized together.

            “It started with a whisper and that was when I kissed her,” Declan and Mason sang at the same time.

            “And then she made my lips hurt, I can hear the chit chat. Take me to your love shack,” Aiden sang. They continued singing and alternating and harmonizing for most of the song.

            “It started with a whisper,” Declan and Mason sang together at the same time that the other boys sang their parts.

            “Everybody talks back!” they sang and the whole diner erupted into an applause. It was no grand arena but Mason was pleasantly happy with them singing at Owen’s parents’ diner.

            Coming back home had been such a surreal experience. Everything seemed to have changed and yet nothing really had. Of course all five of them had been disappointed at having lost the competition but becoming a band had given them new life and new hopes with new dreams. Mason was excited and even coming back and knowing that Madison would not be around was not enough to bring him down completely. He was on cloud nine when he thought about the fact that he was in a band with his friends.

            “Thanks for coming everybody! We’re One For All!” he spoke grinning into the microphone and more cheers were heard. They’d become celebrities in their own town and they performed every other day and on Fridays and Saturdays at the diner. It was turning out to be a great end of to the summer.

            “That was great boys!” Owen’s dad congratulated them all and Mason was grateful to him for letting them perform. Mason watched as his friends all seemed to melt into the crowd of people wanting to talk to them. It really seemed like everything had fallen into place. Noah’s parents hadn’t bothered to show up in town. Benjamin and Noah lived with Aiden and his mom. The diner was prospering so Owen’s parents ended up giving Aiden’s mom a raise and they even paid the boys for the times they performed. Declan had seemed genuinely happy lately. It really was all good. Or as good as things could get. But senior year was around the corner for them and summer was close to the end. He couldn’t help but think about how he would miss summer, this summer in particular because for a while it had seemed as if anything was possible. But with the competition over and when they went back to school it seemed like the magic would end.

            “What’s up?” Declan asked Mason. Mason hadn’t realized how he’d been staring off into space. He shrugged and looked at Declan trying to see if he could find any pain in Declan’s eyes. But his friend really did seem fine for the time being.

            “Just thinking about how we’ll have to go back to school in no time. It’ll be so weird without…Madison,” he admitted. Declan nodded.

            “Yeah I know what you mean. Wyatt and Avery won’t be there either. Everything is different. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing right?” Declan asked and Mason smiled.