Chapter Twenty-Six: Generosity

            “If your friends stand between you and victory will you let them beat you? Or will you go for it? Will you do whatever it takes to win?” Darren asked Mason and Mason squirmed in his chair. For weeks Darren had been calling him to his office to talk, to plan and to learn about Mason’s friends and the other contestants. Mason had never before felt so bad about himself. He felt like he was betraying his friends. He’d told Darren about Aiden’s dad. He’d pointed Darren in the direction of the checking the surveillance footage with Noah talking about Benjamin. He’d mentioned the fact that Owen seemed to be in love with Madison. Mason felt like the villain and yet everything he’d done, he’d done to protect them.

            Shortly after the competition had started Darren had reached out to him saying he reminded him of a young Darren. Mason knew Darren would reach out and make life miserable for his friends. But if he worked with Darren he could soften the blows. It was betrayal and he knew his friends would never forgive him for it. But he hadn’t done it with malicious thoughts. He wanted to win but he didn’t want to hurt his friends and so if he let Darren think he’d be willing to do anything to win he’d leave his friends alone and when the time came Mason could make the ultimate sacrifice. The one he’d promised Madison.

            “I’ll do what I have to in order to win,” Mason whispered and Darren flashed a smile at him. Mason wanted nothing more than to punch Darren but instead he returned the smile.

            “You need to be more assertive Mason. You’ll be placed in the bottom two this week because it’ll give people a chance to relate to you. I want you to mess up this week.”

            “Why?” Mason asked frowning.

            “It’s all part of the plan just trust me and stick with it. It’s an important week,” Darren spoke and continued looking at Mason.

            “Can I go now?” Mason asked and Darren sighed.

            “Do you think your friends would ever forgive you if they found out that you’re literally the reason why everything bad that has happened to them in the whole duration of this competition?” Darren asked and Mason looked him right in the eyes. There were so many things Mason wanted to say but he couldn’t. At least not yet.

            “Can I go now?” he asked again and Darren chuckled.

            “Of course, please go and enjoy the day. It’s going to be an interesting next couple of days,” Darren replied and Mason got up and nodded before leaving the office. He felt sick to his stomach and hoped to be done with all of this soon enough.

            “Mason!” he heard a voice call out and he turned to see Declan smiling at him. Mason was almost sure that Declan was depressed but because Declan didn’t seem to want to talk about it he didn’t push it and he had seemed happier lately so Mason couldn’t complain.

            “What’s up?” Mason asked as they started walking towards the elevator.

            “I’ve been out and about looking at stuff to help me come up with lyrics,” Declan explained and Mason nodded.

            “Sounds good. I wish you’d let us see some of those lyrics,” Mason pointed out and Declan shrugged.

            “I don’t know maybe. I just want it to be the right time,” Declan replied and Mason wondered when the right time would be.