Chapter Sixteen: Aiden's Audition

Chapter Sixteen: Aiden’s Audition

            “I can’t do this mom,” Aiden groaned as he let himself fall down on the couch and put his head in his hands. He was stupid for even thinking of auditioning. Hundreds if not thousands of people auditioned for these kinds of competitions. What made him special? Nothing, absolutely nothing. He heard his mother sigh as she sat down on the couch opposite him.

            “Aiden, honey. Look at me,” she replied and he closed his eyes.

            “I don’t wanna,” he mumbled.

            “What are you five?” she asked and he could hear the smile in her voice. He looked at her and he stopped thinking for a bit. His mother was looking at him with all the love in the world. He didn’t care that he had no real luxuries. He didn’t need them because he had his mother and his sisters.

            “I might as well be. I suck at singing what was I thinking!?” he exclaimed and stood up. His mother didn’t say anything so he turned to look at her. She was glaring at him.

            “Alright! Listen up Aiden James Brock! You are going to go down there and you will audition and sing your heart out! And you will get in! Am I clear!?” she barked and he flinched and saluted her.

            “Yes sir! I mean ma’am! I mean mom!” he said and marched to the kitchen where his sisters were eating PB&J sandwiches. Well Diana was eating a peanut butter sandwich. And Angie was eating a jelly sandwich. They didn’t like mixing their foods. They both looked up at him grinning.

            “Aiden!” they exclaimed and he pretended to ignore them as he went to the fridge to get out juice. He whistled to himself.

            “Aiden!” Diana exclaimed.

            “Aaaaaaiideeeeeennnnn!” Angie yelled and he turned to look at them frowning.

            “Did you guys call me?” he asked and they both nodded vigorously.

            “Yes!”

            “I’m sorry. I didn’t even notice you two were in here!” he exclaimed.

            “That’s ‘cause you need new glasses!” Angie exclaimed and laughed.

            “Don’t make fun of the glasses yo!” he replied and they giggled.

            “Your glasses are cool Aiden,” Diana answered and stuck her tongue out at Angie.

            “Annndd that’s why you’re my favorite!”

            “That’s not true!” Angie yelled. “Momma says you and her can’t have favorites cause that’d be like saying my left lung is my favorite! And that doesn’t make sense so there!” she said and stuck her tongue out.

            “But my left lung is my favorite,” he answered and she gasped. He laughed and went and hugged them both.

            “I love you Aiden,” they both whispered at the same time in his ears. He sighed and hugged them tighter.

            “I love you both and I promise after today things will get better!” he told them.

            “But they are already good,” his mom said as she came up behind them and frowned. “You can’t have a family group hug without me!” she exclaimed and they all ran to her and hugged her.