Chapter Eighteen: Individuality

            Noah wiped the sweat off his palms on his slacks. He stood in the middle of the third floor by the elevator waiting for his date. They were supposed to meet there and then they’d go down together to the second floor and enter the ballroom. He checked his watch and saw that the time read 8:24; he sighed and fidgeted with his red tie. Noah liked the color red so he was pleased that he’d gotten a color he liked and at least it wasn’t pink like Aiden’s; snickering at the thought of Aiden wearing pink and then the bell dinged and the elevator opened. He wasn’t sure what he was expecting. But his date was gorgeous. He grinned when he saw she looked like a supermodel. She seemed about average height but with her stunning black heels she was definitely tall but he was taller; which he was grateful for. She had raven-black hair that was down and curled. Her face was flawless and she had a pair of intense dark brown eyes that seemed to devour him as soon as she saw him.

            “Well come on!” she exclaimed and yanked him into the elevator. He grinned like an idiot. Even her voice sounded angelic.

            “So uh the name’s Noah,” he said and cleared his throat trying to be cool and smooth. She looked him up and down.

            “Yeah. You’re hot. I guess I lucked out because I have a thing for blondes. Or I should say you lucked out,” she said and leaned super close to him. She put her hand on his chest. “My name is Rebecca Cruz and yes I’ve got some hot Latin blood in me, soy spicy,” she breathed and leaned in close again. He suddenly felt a little uncomfortable and was glad when the elevator opened up as he quickly walked out.

            “Well come on then,” he breathed and took her hand. She giggled.

            “So what’s your story hot stuff?” she asked and he shrugged.

            “How about you tell me yours first?” he asked and she smiled.

            “Well ever since I was little I wanted to be a singer. I wanna make it big ya know? I’ve been in every single musical my school ever held. I’ve been in several singing competitions in my hometown. I’ve taken singing and dance lessons since I was five,” she started and he nodded feeling impressed. So singing was her thing. They stopped right at the entrance to the ballroom and Noah could hear the announcing finishing up on the previous couple.

            “…Malone!” the voice yelled and there were cheers. Noah frowned. Malone? Where did he know that from?

            “Are you even listening to me?” Rebecca asked.

            “Huh? Oh yeah. You love singing. And I’m sure you’re really good at it. How old are you?” he asked.

            “I’m twenty-one,” she answered and his jaw dropped. She did not look to be that old.

            “Really? Twenty-one?” he asked and she nodded and frowned.

            “How old are you?” she asked.

            “…Sixteen,” he mumbled and she snorted. He grinned at her snort.

            “Jailbait huh? I guess it’s a good thing I take risks,” she said and winked.

            “Noah Caus and Rebecca Cruz!” the announcer yelled and they stepped in. Noah’s jaw dropped for the second time in less than five minutes. As soon as they took a step in he felt as if they’d been transported to a different world. The ballroom was huge and dark inside. There was music playing and tables set up all around the middle of the room which held the dance floor and directly in front of the dance floor was a stage with microphones and a screen was hanging across from the room. There were ice sculptures all over the place in the shape of fish and even a mermaid. Blue was the prominent color all around. There was a water fountain that had been set up to the far left that had a stone fish spouting water. People could take pictures there. One of the walls was entirely made of glass; a huge window-wall that had an amazing view of the city and the night sky.