Chapter Four: Mason

Chapter Four: Mason

            The sun was rising just as Mason finished his four mile run. Every morning he got up at five and went out to run four miles. He usually finished it in forty-five minutes to an hour, depending on his mood. His mood today? He was determined. For the past couple of weeks he’d been having some sort of “relationship” with a girl, which he knew Aiden wouldn’t approve of. So he’d kept it a secret. She wanted it a secret as well, and they’d mutually decided not to tell anyone and meet in private. But today, he had a whole afternoon planned for both of them. And he would ask her out officially and make the relationship public.

            Aiden was his best friend, but he didn’t care if he didn’t approve of the girl. He knew that once Aiden saw how happy Mason was, he’d accept it. He wasn’t even sure why they kept the relationship a secret in the first place. The girl was fairly popular in school as was he. It’d be something normal if they went out. He saw no problem in it.

            He went inside his house, officially done with his run. He went up the stairs and into his room. He grabbed his towel and went across the hall to take a quick shower. When he got out he turned on his TV in his room while he dressed for school. He put on his jeans and a gray T-shirt with a blue hoodie. As he put on his sneakers he absentmindedly watched a commercial on TV.

            “So we’re coming to your town! We are looking for talented, young people. If you can sing and dance; make sure to audition for a chance to make your biggest dreams come true!” the announcer exclaimed in the TV and Mason smirked. He hadn’t paid full attention to the commercial so he wasn’t sure whether it was a contest or something. He turned off his TV and looked at himself in the mirror. His dark brown eyes looked back at him. He thought he had big lips and big eyebrows. He frowned and then smirked as he laughed at his facial expressions. His messy, shaggy hair was in need of a haircut. He went to his car and got in. He thought about how Aiden had told him that the new kid Noah lived in his neighborhood. As he drove to the end of the road he saw the mansion and knew it was the one Aiden had been talking about. He kept on driving towards school.

            Once he was at school he pulled out his phone and looked at the familiar number. In his phone she was just a number, for fear of putting her name and then having someone see it. He texted her: I can’t wait to see you. Don’t forget today’s our date. He smiled as he put his phone away. He didn’t see her in the hallways as he walked to his class. The day seemed to pass by in a blur for him because all he could think about was her and before he knew it, it was lunch time and he sat with Aiden.

            “Aiden?” he asked and Aiden turned to look at him. He raised an eyebrow.

            “Is everything ok?” Aiden asked.

            “Yeah, it is. I was just wondering. What do you think of-,” He paused. He couldn’t do it. “Of the new kid Noah.”

            “Noah? He’s pretty cool. I was kind of a jerk to him so I offered him a spot at our table, but he seems to prefer the library,” Aiden answered and Mason nodded as he turned and saw Noah sitting with two other people at a different table.

            “Isn’t that him?” Mason asked and Aiden looked back. Aiden frowned.

            “Yup. It is. He made friends,” Aiden whispered. Mason looked towards the brunette girl.

            “She’s hot,” he commented and Aiden smiled.

            “Yeah she is. That’s Madison Malone.”