Chapter Twenty-Three: Heart Palpitations

            “Get up,” Declan demanded and looked down at his friend Owen who simply rolled over in his bed and turned away. Declan sighed and tried to think of what to say to his friend to get him out of bed. He felt like so much had happened. The night Madison had left Owen had had an asthma attack and while they were rushing him off to the hospital they’d found out what Darren had done. He’d revealed to the audience Noah’s secret. Declan shuddered at the image of how afraid Noah had looked. He’d started freaking out and had soon suffered a panic attack.

            Those next few days had been a complete chaos. Darren had excused Owen out of the competition for the week so he could rest and forced Noah to continue competing. The thrill and fun of the competition had died for them. The week had ended with Cindy leaving the competition. It made Declan truly feel alone as he watched Owen in bed without any signs of getting up. Mason spent lots of time alone and Declan had no doubt he spent it thinking about Madison. Aiden tried to be the rock for everyone else but Noah who couldn’t get ahold of his parents had been on edge and so Aiden usually focused on him. Declan hated the feeling that they weren’t there for each other and the more he observed the more he noticed Owen’s symptoms. He promised himself that he wouldn’t let Owen fall into a depression.

            “It’s a new week. Darren only gave you a week off, you have to do the competition or you’ll be kicked out,” Declan whispered and he heard Owen silently sigh.

            “That’s probably for the best. I don’t want to sing anymore so what’s the point of being in a singing competition?” Owen answered quietly.

            “But singing is a part of you,” Declan replied.

            “I can’t sing, just the thought of singing reminds me…of her,” Owen whispered and Declan felt a pang of sympathy for his friend. Declan sat down at the foot of the twin sized bed and looked at his friend who continued to stare at him.

            “You know singing reminds me of my grandpa,” Declan spoke softly and thought back to the nights of holding the razor in his hands. He’d only used it the first night but had made a small enough cut on his wrist that it was easily hidden with his watch.

            “How do you do it?” Owen asked with interest and Declan pondered the question.

            “My grandpa loved music. And he loved watching me sing. He always encouraged me to do it. For me not to do it would be an insult to my grandpa,” Declan answered honestly.

            “I know your grandpa’s proud of you,” Owen whispered and got out of bed. Declan smiled at him.

            “I know it hurts. Trust me I know. But you’re not alone. I’m here for you. Aiden, Noah and Mason they are too. We’re in this together,” Declan said and patted Owen on the back. Owen simply shook his head.

            “That’s just it. I don’t think we are in this together,” Owen sighed before getting up and grabbing a towel.

            Declan watched him leave to go take a shower and shortly afterwards stepped out into the living room area and saw Rebecca sitting on the couch going through her phone. He hated admitting just how attracted he was to her. There was something about her. She was a terrible person but just her determination to win inspired Declan. She was a great singer and he felt like she was the only one who understood what he felt.