Chapter Seven: Aiden's Misfortune

Chapter Seven: Aiden’s Misfortune

            Aiden drove around until the tears stopped. He hated crying more than anything else. He hated feeling weak. But he was frustrated. He’d been fired. How was he supposed to help his mother now? He angrily wiped away the last tears as he pulled up to his driveway. He had to tell his mother as soon as possible, he couldn’t put it off. He entered the house and saw his mother sitting around the dining room table. She was reading a letter. She looked as if she had aged tremendously in one day. She looked exhausted.

            “What is it?” Aiden asked as she looked up and smiled at him. The smile didn’t reach her eyes and he frowned.

            “Your father sent a letter,” she whispered and he frowned down at the letter.

            “What does he want?” Aiden asked.

            “He wants to see us. He wants to apologize for leaving us, and he wants to get back together.”

            “No, no we don’t need him!” Aiden exclaimed and then felt his stomach drop. He had just been fired. They did need someone to help pay the bills. But Aiden didn’t want his father back. They’d survived without him. They didn’t need him.

            “I know,” she sighed.

            “It’s not like he’d help pay bills, or would he?” Aiden asked.

            “No, I don’t think so. Oh Aiden, I never told you, but when you were first born he left us. He loves gambling and drinking and who knows what else. I told myself I was glad he was gone. He wouldn’t contaminate you with his lifestyle,” she whispered.

            “But if he left? The twins? Aren’t they his daughters as well?” he asked feeling confused.

            “Yes. He came back when you were five. He begged me. And he charmed his way into my-our life again.”

            “Was he better?” Aiden asked and she shook his head.

            “No. He continued doing his things. It was bad. I’m sorry, he’s your father. But no it was bad. You don’t remember much about him?” she asked and he shook his head. “It’s for the better then.”

            “So then the years passed and you guys had the twins?” Aiden asked.

            “Yes. And then he left. And now he wants to come back,” she whispered and Aiden shook his head.

            “We don’t need him mom,” Aiden whispered and walked towards his mother. He fell to his knees and hugged her. She held on tightly.

            “I hope not. I don’t want to go back to that life. I can’t. I’m sorry, I know you guys need a dad. But I don’t know if I could handle it,” she said and her voice broke at the last word.

            “You’re all we need mom,” Aiden whispered. He grabbed the letter from her without even reading it he ripped it into little pieces and threw it away. “There. That man isn’t coming into our lives again,” Aiden whispered and decided he’d tell her about his job another day. He still had money saved. He’d help pay bills with that while he looked for a new job. And hopefully by the time the money was running out he’d already have a new job and could just tell his mom that he’d simply found a better job. No need to worry her and upset her by telling her that he’d been fired. Especially with the way it had happened. He didn’t want to upset her anymore.