Prologue

I sat up in a tree sniffing the fresh pine air.  Every one of my friends was laughing and playing with their parents.  I decided to look at my own parents and watch them.  Mom was holding her stomach, which was carrying my baby brother in it, as she talked to people of the pack.  Dad was cooking on the barbeque.  Our pack was one of the nicest ones out there.  I felt proud that I would be Luna of this pack one day.  Mom smiled and looked up at me in the tree.  It was my favorite tree to climb.  I could see every inch of pack lands from this tree.  Mom walked to the tree and held out her arms for a hug.  I smiled brightly at her and climbed down.  Mom picked me up out of the tree when I got close enough and my wolf, Rayla, howled in delight.

"Children and women get to the safe place!"  Dad yelled.

"Mitchel,"  Mom walked over to him.  "What's going on?"

"Rouges are attacking,"  Dad answered.  "Go to the safehouse with Aliya now."

"I'm going to stay and fight,"  Mom spoke.

Dad glared at Mom.  "No, you're not.  We both know that Aliya will stay with us if we both are here.  GO NOW!"

Mom didn't argue as she ran with me in her arms.  Every mother was carrying their children to the safe house.  I let out a small whimper as Dad got farther and farther from my sight.  Rayla was snapping and growling saying that we should fight alongside him.  We were tackled to the ground with a large tawny brown wolf growling above us.  I was underneath Mom, who was guarding me so the wolf couldn't hurt me without being blocked.  The wolf put his mouth around Mom's neck.  Not applying enough pressure to go into her skin but just enough to get the message that he would kill her if she made the wrong move.

I felt teeth go on my shoulder and pull me away from Mom.  She looked at me with worry and anger.  The anger wasn't pointed at me but at the wolf that was dragging me.  Rayla was growing, urging me to shift and kill the wolf.  Around me, every kid was being pulled away from their mothers.  Some struggled and some screamed while very few looked at me with fear.  I gave them calm looks and they acted the same way as me.  

When we were far enough away from our parents the rouges let us go and laid down on top of us.  I got a chance to examine the light grey wolf on me.  A metallic smell came into the air and I looked around trying to see who was bleeding.  A loud growl caught my attention and I looked towards the sound.  A small boy who looked a couple years older than me held a silver blade up to my father's throat.  I heard Mom let out a growl mixed with a whimper.  Everyone was either growling or whimpering.  Me, on the other hand,  I was snarling at the boy.

"You're Alpha is weak and pathetic,"  the boy spoke.  "He wouldn't have been able to save any of you even if he was the strongest Alpha out there.  I overpower everyone in the end.  Now, we'll be taking all of the children and you guys can live.  Unless your Alpha wants me to take his life instead."

Everyone was silent and waiting in anticipation.  I loud growl tore through my throat.  The boy looked at me his silver eyes shining.  My wolf purred in lust.  I hid my shock from the boy being my mate by snarling at him.  The boy glared at me.  

"Do you dare try to fight me?"  The boy asked me.

"No, she doesn't,"  Dad said.  "She doesn't know any better.  She's a little firecracker."

"Well, what is your choice?"  My mate asked Dad.

"Either way you'll kill me,"  Dad growled.  "I know disgusting, lying rogues by now."

"I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU HURT HIM THAT KNIFE WILL BE IN YOUR FACE!"  I yelled at my mate.

The rouge wolf growled at me in warning.  I growled at the wolf back.  I looked at my mate.  "YOU CALL HIM WEAK!  YOU'RE THE ONE THAT'S WEAK!  TAKING THE CHILDREN AND NOT THE ADULTS!  YOU KNOW FOR A FACT YOU WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO CONTROL THE ADULTS!  YOU'RE WEAK, PATHETIC AND A COCK SUCKING MOTHER FUCKER!"

"Aliya that is enough!"  I heard Mom yell.

"Get off of that child,"  my mate spoke.

The wolf got off of me and I stood up.  My mate shoved the knife into my father's throat.  Everyone started screaming and crying out.  I looked at Mom who was whimpering in a fetal position.  I charged towards my mate enraged.  My mate smirked and I was slammed to the ground.  Teeth landed on my neck.  I growled and snarled towards my mate.  He walked towards me and grabbed my jaw roughly.

"A lot of fire in a girl,"  my mate smirked.  "I'm glad you're my mate.  I thought I'd have a weakling for one."

I stared at my dad's dead body and growled loudly.  I quickly reached up, prying the wolf's jaw off of my neck and twisted until there was a loud snapping sound.  I threw the dead wolf at my mate and he went flying with the wolf.  I pulled the knife out of Dad's throat.  I swung at my mate with the knife but he dodged.  He didn't move fast enough there was blood dripping down the left side of his face.  The blood started from his eyebrow down to his jaw.  My mate moved fast, grabbing the knife from me and kicked me so far I landed beside Mom.

Mom snapped the neck of the wolf that was on her.  She crawled towards me.  "You remember what me and Dad taught you about mates?"

"Yes,"  I answered.

"Well forget everything we said,"  Mom smiled.  "They won't always protect you.  Some can be heartless.  When you get a mate like that, you don't let them win.  What I want you to do is run.  That way he can't get what he wants, which is you.  Don't look back.  No one is going to survive this besides some children.  Keep your head high and always think that you went up against your mate to avenge your mother and father.  So don't ever feel like this is your fault.  Don't ever think about revenge.  Protect the person or people Rayla feels is right.  GO NOW!"

I stood up and realized Mom had clawed open her neck.  I looked at my mate.  "One day you will regret everything bad you've done!"

I turned and ran away from the pack, not looking back like Mom told me to.  No vengeance.  Protect the person that my wolf chooses from that monster of a mate.  I'd do whatever I had to do to keep that promise to Mom.