A Good Days Work

CHAPTER 21

"Only the five of you?" I question, "How do you manage when James hosts a gala? Are you truly able to manage a dinner for one hundred or even just fifty guests?"

"I'd say we manage quite nicely, thank you very much," Mrs. Brennan, the surly cook, quips.

"Ahem," Ms. O'Kara warns.

"No, no. It's a perfectly reasonable response. I beg your pardon Mrs. Brennan, I only meant to express my astonishment at the skill you must possess. Such a large estate as this must welcome twice that of my home, or my parents home, and you are able to feed them all. I am in awe," I smile.

Five people on the kitchen staff. Astonishing! Mrs. Brennan, May, Sarah, Michael, and Elise.

May is named after her month of birth. What a perfect namesake for she is sweet and joyful.

Sarah is less joy more practical, I would say. She gives a tight smile and a stiff curtsey.

Michael, the only male on the kitchen staff. He has a passion for baking and I can thank him for any scrumptious pastries I will encounter. I do look forward to those.

Lastly, Elise. Elise is only fourteen, and has worked here for two years. She came from France with her mother, who is often ill. She works to care for her. She is so small, I could put her in my coin purse and carry her with me everywhere. She is very feisty though, from time spent with Mrs. Brennan, I wager.

Apparently, James was the one to take Elise on as a kitchen maid. Others were not willing to have one so young, but as long as she could work he said. Elise seems to think the world of him. I wonder what it is that she sees in him.

---

After the making introductions in the kitchen we moved on to the butler, footmen, and housemaids. In order to make it more personal I break them into their respective groups.

Mr. Banks the man in charge, depending on whom you ask, is the butler. He is a jolly man, very thin though. He wears a constant smile which is not visible beneath his fuzzy white mustache. I believe Ms. O'Kara really does run things, I doubt Mr. Banks would be one to dole out a punishment, or even a reprimand at that!

I meet James' valet next. Carson Banks, Mr. Banks son. He is equally as thin as his father though not as jolly. The poor man seems to have the world resting on his shoulders.

There are six footmen. More than enough to handle numerous guests, I am assured. All very capable, "the top footmen in the country!" Mr. Banks boasted. Joseph, Calum, Morgan, Geoffrey, Alex, and Brody. They are very polite young men. I believe they are either my age or older.

Now the housemaids are numerous. Ten in all. Mary, Louise, Anna, Maree, Joy, Kitty, Sophia, Emily, Gertrude or Gertie for short, and of course, Liz. She beams at me. Louise was the whisperer I met in the hall and Kitty is her friend. I smile at Louise, who appears a bit nervous.

With most of the day already gone Ms. O'Kara prods me along. Now to meet the outside staff.

Our gardeners are Theodore, Michael, Peter, Christopher, and Jackson.

"Thank you all for being such hard workers. The landscape is spectacular! I trust I can thank you for the beautiful candles last night?" I ask.

Jackson is the one to speak up.

"It was Teddy's idea ma'am, but yeah, we all pitched in." Theodore or Teddy smiles bashfully.

"Well it was a marvelous idea. Thank you all again." With that they all march off.

"The last group will be the stables my lady. Shall we?" Ms. O'Kara asks.

"Yes I'm ready. Lead the way."

- - - -

On the path up to the stables I catch a glimpse of a girl carrying pales into the barn. She looks in our direction and scurries off.

"Who was that?" I question.

"My apologies my lady, I did not see anyone."

Oh well, if she works her then I will meet her.

When we draw near, the smell of horse manure greets our noses.

"Oh dear," I giggle, covering my nose.

"If the smell is too strong, Lady Wellington, I could always bring the stablemen to meet you," Ms. O'Kara suggests.

"Oh no, I wouldn't dream of it. One could only expect to smell manure in a stable. I will get used to it, in fact, I think the initial shock is beginning to fade," I laugh.

Two men and two younger boys come out to meet us.

"Hello Lady Wellington! Welcome!" one man smiles.

Ms. O'Kara introduces them as, Ely and his boy Bailey, and Tom with his boy Thomas.

"I'm very pleased to meet you all, but I saw a girl walking here earlier. Does she not work her?"

Ely and Tom exchange a nervous glance, Tom steps forward.

"That'd be my daughter, Emma. Sometimes she comes from town to help out with the horses. The feeding of the horses, my lady."

They're acting peculiar.

"Oh that's lovely. I'd love to meet her too, if she's still here."

"Yes. Um, Emma! Come out here!" Tom calls.

A tall girl steps through the doors and confidently walks toward me. She stands directly in front of me and sticks out her dirty hand.

"I'm Emma. I only help with the feeding sometimes," she says looking pointedly at her father.

I get the feeling that there's more happening here, but I don't quite understand it. I make a mental note to come and see Emma another day.

For now though I'll leave it at this. I thank Emma, Tom, Thomas, Ely, and Bailey and walk back to the house with Ms. O'Kara.

- - - -

Today was a very productive day. I doubt I'll be able to remember anyone's name, but I will certainly try.

There are a few ones that I would like to get to know better, like Emma and Elise, but that will have to wait. First thing tomorrow I have to start making a place for myself.

Lying in bed, my thoughts turn to James. I did not see him at dinner, for he did not come down, but I was informed that he had returned home safely.

I hope that we can learn to deal in patience with each other. I, under no circumstances, wish to live in a constant squabble with him for the rest of my life.

I'll talk to him eventually, I think to myself as I nod off.

~~~~~~~~

I really don't have time to write anymore so I'm going to try and wrap this story up as fast as I can. I've just got a knack for slow plot lines.

CONGRATULATIONS ALEXANDRA!!!

IM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!