Victory

CHAPTER 12

I fall into bed grinning from ear to ear. I would say tonight went marvelously. With this new arrangement with James married life will be almost easy. One might venture to say that I'm excited.

I laugh remorselessly at the remembrance of James face when I confronted him. He looked so pleased with himself. He thought I gave up, how funny.

I recall how his hand seemed to grip my side when I offered my proposition. I haven't been so close to James since the day at his parents estate. The thought still makes my stomach flutter. He was so relaxed when I was being nice, I feel a bit guilty for shattering it as I did.

Wait, what am I thinking? He wishes to control me. He wants me to be the annoyingly sweet, doting fiancée. Which I just cannot be, at least not all of the time.

Then again, what I said in the ball room was true. He was placed in this familial alliance, just as I was. He didn't choose me. If he can't control me he'll lose his birth right. He's just trying to maintain his dignity.

That doesn't make it acceptable for him to attempt to lord over me, though. He could have refused his father. Cold as his father may seem, I doubt he would have cut him off completely. There is definitely something to be said about the fact that he did not refuse. A man knows what is right. An intelligent man knows that women aren't animals to command. He deserves a little punishment, especially because of trying to keep both Isabelle and me.

Aside from that, though, would I not do everything within my power to keep hold of any inheritance I had? If put in his situation, I dare say I would.

I rub my sleepy eyes and sigh. I need to go to sleep, I become very unreasonable when I am tired. I am defending him!

I blow out the candle on my side table and slip further under the soft, warm blankets. Tomorrow I will see with the clear vision of hindsight.

~~~~~~~~~~

Short. I know, but have no fear! I already have another in the works. And it's not technically yesterday still, but to me it's not today yet either. So this counts as yesterday, I make good on promises. >_<