The Kiss?

CHAPTER 14

Breathe. You just need to breathe. I only have to walk down the aisle and say a few words. "Just repeat after father Reynolds," mother said.

I can do that. I can walk. Now I am walking, I am halfway there. Halfway? Already?

I stop. I can run. I could still run. I'm smart, there must be something that a smart woman could do.

My father gently tugs on my arm, guiding me forward. "You can do this. It's the best thing for you. You'll see in time," he whispers.

I breathe in deeply. I'm tough, I can do anything. I can marry this man. I love my parents and this is what they want. Maybe it will help me somehow. Perhaps I'll look back at today and see that they were right. Perhaps, but I find it unlikely. I'll try to make the best of it.

Here I stand with James at my side and the entire city at my back. It seems that Mother really did invite everyone. He recites his vows. He sounds bored. Emotionless. Is it not important to him? How can he be so calm? I'm fluttering with nerves.

It is my turn now, I open my mouth and speak. I'm surprised at my own voice. It sounds certain and unafraid. I wish I were that girl in my voice because right now I am anything but certain. I'm completely afraid.

I'm married. This is my husband. I am his wife.
"You may now kiss your bride," father Reynolds' voice cuts into my thoughts.

James, my husband, lifts the thin white fabric that has thus far protected me from the world.

Oh how I've tried to forget this part. James leans in coming nearer every second. I should have prepared for this somehow. I've never really kissed anyone. I don't know if I want to! I wanted him to kiss me that day. At least I think I did.

I pull back from James. I need more time to think. I wonder at the amount of thoughts that can fly through a mind in such a short period of time.

James fixes a subtle yet hard glare on me. 'Lean in,' he seems to command. I comply.

Is it necessary to have this public humiliation in a wedding? Why does this have to seal the marriage? I find myself quite indignant at the lack of consideration for those in arranged marriages. I don't want to kiss him here, in front of all of these people. It's all too personal.

When we're near enough that I can feel the warmth of his face and the slight movement of air from his breathing, I turn my face and he kisses my cheek.

I blink. Did I? I hear a few people laugh. I flush as the full realization hits me. I didn't kiss him. I turned away. James appears equally as surprised as I feel. Although he seems a bit angry as well. I keep my eyes downcast as we make our way back down the aisle and into the corridor.

He leads me into a small study and shuts the door. The moment that we're alone James looks at me with a set jaw.

"I didn't mean to. I just,"

"You just what? You were trying to make a fool of me? You and I have a deal and that," he gestures toward the doors, "was not part of it. Good wife, remember?" he questions.

I hold back the flame of anger that threatens to burn in me. He is embarrassed, as am I.

"I am sorry. I truly am. My intentions were not malicious. I was not trying to embarrass you. I didn't even do it deliberately," I mumble.

He sighs, but I think his tone has softened. "Then why did you do it?"

"I've never really k-," I begin to explain, "wait, I don't have to explain that to you."

He wrinkles his brow in frustration opening his mouth to respond, when recognition blooms in his face. His opened mouth turns into a taunting grin.
"You've never kissed anyone. You were scared. You were afraid to kiss me in front of those people."

"I was not," I try to defend.

"Yes you were. That's what that look was! It was fear," he laughs, "the brave Aleana Brighton is afraid of a little kiss."

"I am not afraid. You're behaving like a child." I leer.

"You're the one blushing at the thought of kissing me," he smirks.

"I am not blushing!" I glare at the floor because he is right. I can't let him know that though. "I'm angry, that's all."

"Oh really? Then prove it," he smirks again.

"What are you talking about?" I question.

"Prove that you aren't afraid to kiss me. The only way you can convince me, is by kissing me."

"No!" I almost shout.

"Then you are afraid." he accuses, "It's alright, most girls are."

I can't stand the smug look on his face. He thinks he's won. Before I have time for second thoughts, I pull his face close to mine and press my lips to his. I squeeze my eyes shut because I don't want to see what he's thinking.

I turn and walk away before he can see how flushed my face is. He doesn't follow me and he doesn't say anything which I'm thankful for. He does however make a sound. It sounds like he blew out a breath. Is he laughing? Is he shocked? I can't tell and I'm not looking back to check.

~~~~~~

Is this short? It was supposed to be short. You were very understanding and I wanted to give you something. I read back on the last update and wrote from Aleana's point of view, which wasn't originally intended.

Either way, enjoy. :)