Troublemaker

CHAPTER 9

Watching Aleana from the corner of my eye, I notice that Samuel is speaking to her. This cannot be good. Though I can't hear what's being said I watch intently, trying to make out their words. Aleana stares at Sam, mouth slightly ajar. He hastily replies, no doubt fanning whatever flame he's just set. He's feigning humility. I can always tell when he's up to something. He's done something and I need to find out what.

-----

I watch Samuel and Aleana carefully, to see if they converse anymore. They don't. I can see though, that Aleana would like to. He's said something about me. I know that by the way she stares at me curiously when she thinks I'm not looking. The moment dinner is over and we are free to roam about I jump out of my seat, trying to make my way around to Samuel.

"James, my good boy!" I hear.

It's the duke, I can't get pulled into conversation with him. He will gab all night.
"Your Grace," I bow, "I'm honored that you have come tonight. I hate to be rude, but I have an important matter to attend to."

"Congratulations on your engagement," he replies ignoring my regrets, "I hear it will be a hasty marriage. Yes, that's the way to do it, my boy."

"I agree, now if you'll excuse me," I try.

"Take the advice of an old man. Don't spend to much time with the girl, lest you come to hate her. Stay away as often as you can. Then you can be happy to see each other. As they say, 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'."

"Thank you for such kind advice, I really must be going though." I look around to see that Sam is nowhere in sight. I groan inwardly. If he has done something I'll wring his neck.

I walk briskly out to the front foyer. Where would I hide if I were a troublemaking,"

"James!" A high pitched voice screams.

Oh no, it can't be her. Not her, please not her. I silently beg. Slowly turning around.

"You! You sent me away! You lied to me!" she points her finger and comes at me. Standing in front of me, she slaps me hard across my cheek. I wince and act surprised. Foolishly hoping that she's upset for a different reason.

She looks furious. "Isabelle, darling, what are you doing here?" I smile sweetly.

"No, no, no what am I doing here! What are you doing here? Engagement dinner? You got engaged!" she yells, drawing the attention of everyone around. No, she knows. Who told her? I don't even need to finish that question. Obviously Sam did.

"My love, please keep your voice down. You wouldn't want to cause a scene."

"Don't 'my love' me. You were getting engaged and you tried to send me away! 'I want you to shop in Paris, have fun, relax' you said. You pig! Then I hear that you are soon to be married!" she screams again.

Wishing to avoid publicizing my private affairs, I grab the ranting Isabelle and drag her outside into the gardens. Walking until we're safely concealed by the tall hedges.

"Isabelle, please be quiet and let me explain. I have no choice in this. I have to marry her," I explain.

"Have to?" she laughs, "Why on earth do you have to marry her?"

"Because of my father."

"Are you afraid to disappoint your daddy by marrying a foreigner?" she questions maliciously.

I pinch the bridge of my nose and shake my head. "You of all people, should know that I have no problem disappointing my father. I do, however, have a problem with losing my inheritance."

She clearly doesn't believe me. "And how does marrying her help you keep your inheritance?" she crosses her arms.

"She's a foolish girl, and if I can somehow get her to behave properly in society my father will not take away my inheritance," I tell her.

"You will get her to behave properly in society?" she laughs, "You can't even behave properly in society!"

"He seems to think that being responsible for her will make me into a responsible man," I roll my eyes.

She laughs then replies, "Well, if you can't marry me, then you will spoil me. I will be your official mistress. You will buy me anything my heart desires."

Relieved that she is no longer upset I pull her close. "Anything you want my doll. Perhaps a new dress could make up for this dreadful evening!"

"Just one?" she pouts.

"Two?" I question.

"Three is more like it," she smiles before pulling me into a kiss.

"Make it four," I nod as she pulls away. She giggles and then walks back toward the house.

I silently watch her until she disappears from view. "I know you're there. You may as well come out now."

Samuel steps out of the bushes. "Well done brother. You always knew how to talk to women, didn't you?"

"What are you trying to do, Samuel? Sabotage me? Have you really stooped that low?" I growl.

"Sabotage? Heavens no! I just thought Isabelle should know why you sent her to Paris. It was purely concern for her," Sam says coolly. "You sure did turn that around though. Official mistress, luckily, she likes your money."

I scoff. "Hopefully," he goes on, "Aleana likes your money too. It would make it difficult to control her if she knew you had a mistress. She hardly seems the type to stay quiet about such things."

"If you tell her, I swear I will beat you until even the hairs of your head are bleeding," I threaten. I smile, seeing him swallow and clear his throat.

"Now brother, I have not told her, nor do I plan on telling her. I'm just saying I hope she never finds out."

"If she ever does,"

"I'm sure she won't. I hope for both our sakes that she doesn't. Please excuse me James, there are too many threats in the air tonight," he retorts before waking off.

God, why couldn't it have just been Matthew and me? That snake is going to cause problems. A rustling in the bushes draws my attention.

"Who's there?" I call out. Nothing but silence returns my call. It's probably a rabbit.

I make my way to the house. I'd better get in her good graces while I still can.

~~~~~~~~

Hopefully by midweek I'll have a short chapter.

It takes me so long to get into a writing mood, but once I do I just sit for hours.

Writing is almost as fun as reading. Almost.