The Dinner: Part 2

CHAPTER 8

The long table is set beautifully. All kinds of floral arrangements decorate it. Mother is using our best dishes and silver. I really hope this isn't an indication of what the wedding feast will be like. It's all too much, I'd rather have a simple dinner party. Close friends only, not everyone and their dog.

James seems to be enjoying himself. I look at him, seated across the table. Laughing heartily at something Lord Gavin has said. Right now one could almost think he were a sweet guy. With his cute little dimple. But he is very full of himself. He catches me looking at him. Instinct tells me to look away, but for prides sake I continue staring. Why shouldn't I? He's going to be mine, isn't he? James smirks and cocks an eyebrow suggestively. I roll my eyes and look away. He is so cocky.

I turn instead to mother, who is on my left, and try to join her conversation. I sigh. She's talking about floral arrangements for the ceremony. I love looking at flowers, but I get bored of hearing about the different types. They were never that interesting to me. Perhaps that is why I don't have the proverbial green thumb. I turn to the person on my right. He doesn't look familiar. Of course, I can't be certain because he's facing the other way. I decide to eavesdrop a little. He and the man beside him are talking about the possibility of war in the south. Now this is interesting. Apparently, some folk in the south disagree with the kings choice of religion and have rebelled. The king is sending a small army to try to take control of the situation. If this is what men talk about, I envy them. Mother would fan herself and say "Dear me, boys, is this really conversation to have over dinner?"

Interrupting my thoughts father stands to make a speech of sorts.

"Lords and ladies. My family and I welcome you into our home. We are very happy to celebrate this joyous news with you. I know I don't even have to say it because you already know the reason we're all here." With that, he looks at mum who feigns surprise and innocents. Everyone laughs. "But I will still say, for any that may not know. My beloved daughter will be joining Lord James Wellington, in matrimony. For this we are eager to celebrate. So, fill your bellies, drink wine, and dance!"
All around the table erupt in applause. I smile and clap too. I think papa has already had a bit to drink.

As the servants bring the first course around, the stranger next to me speaks.
"They're certainly going all out. I can't wait to see what the wedding feast will be like. Though, I doubt they can top this," he laughs, "it's incredible!"

"They certainly are. I would not get my hopes up, if I were you. This festival couldn't possibly be topped. Perhaps only a feast of the king's could equal it," I smile.

"Whoever this girl is, should feel very fortunate to have such a loving family."

How funny. I don't think he realizes that I'm the fortunate girl. Just as I'm about to inform him, he speaks again.

"Perhaps they know what a scoundrel that James is, and want her to have a bit of happiness before she's bound," he nods, "Forgive me. That was rude. This is a happy occasion. I should not speak of such things." He says when he sees my shocked face.

Wanting to know what he means I reply, "Oh, I'm really not the sensitive sort. By all means tell me what you mean. Surly he's not that bad!"

"No, no. I am not one to gossip. I should never have mentioned it. Please forget I ever said anything," he smiles. At that he turns his attention to the man beside him.

I know James drinks too much and gambles, but how would that affect me? Could he really be so bad? Who is this man and how does he know? One thing is certain about tonight, I am going to find out.

~~~~~~~~

Sorry it's so short. I'm having trouble concentrating. I'm terrible. :)