The Big Day

CHAPTER 13

It has finally arrived. I am so happy, I feel as though my heart will burst. My daughter. My beautiful, headstrong, intelligent baby girl is getting married.

I dab my eyes again. She is absolutely glowing in her gown. Though she tries to pretend that it is meaningless, I know how proud she is of her handiwork. I remember how I felt in my gown when I married Marius. I felt as if I were the most beautiful woman in all of the world. A well fitting dress can do that, make you feel powerful.

I breathe a shaky sigh.

Lea turns around. "Mother, please stop crying." she implores, "I'm the one being forced into this."

I smile at my girl. She is intelligent, but she doesn't know what she needs. I have seen them together, I know what it will be. A mother knows these things. They are both so stubborn. With a rocky start, I know that they will learn to love each other. Attraction is there, love is all that is needed. Before love, they need to care for one another. This will be good for her.

"I am so happy for you! Everything will turn out fine. You will be happy and I will eventually be a grandmother," I beam.

She frowns deeply. "Marriage will not make me happy. Children will not make me happy. Freedom would make me happy."

I smile sadly. I wish with all my heart that she could live her life unmarried, traveling the world as she dreams. Life is not like that though. Her father would threaten to disown her. She would leave to prove how independent she is. She would not find the life she imagines, she would have no money and no way of earning it. She would be too destitute to travel anywhere. Her father would not take her back, he loves her, but he is just as stubborn as she is, if not more so. She would have to beg for forgiveness and her pride wouldn't allow her to do that.

That's why she has to marry. If she does not a terrible life awaits her. Perhaps someday young women will be free to work and be single and travel the globe. Until then though. I am also quite convinced that James will be very amiable in allowing her to remain fairly free. She will teach him and he will teach her.

"I'm sorry for that mum, it's too late anyway," she shrugs, "are you ready?"

"I am. Now don't be nervous. You walk a little you stand a little. And say what the father tells you to. It's very easy," I nod.

"I'm not nervous. What is there to be scared of?" She laughs. I take her shaking hand in mine and nod.

"You look beautiful. I'll be right there in the front pew."

We walk out into the church corridor where Marius stands waiting. He clasps his hands behind his back and nods as we approach. I smile because I can see the glint in his eyes that means he's getting emotional. Somehow he still manages to look stern even as he peers at her like he did on the day of her birth.

I kiss them both and leave the proud father and daughter to take my seat.

---------

Ten minutes later, the choir begins to sing. I turn to watch her enter. She has brought down the veil so I can't quite make out her expression, but her gait is nervous and awkward. I turn to look at James standing beside Father Reynolds, his eyes are locked on her and he shifts back and forth.

A look of concern crosses his face just as a quiet murmur spreads though the church. I again turn to Lea, only to find her stopped midway down the aisle. I fear briefly that she will run. With the grip that he has on her I think my husband fears the same. Marius whispers something to her and she takes a breath and slowly continues forward. I wonder what he said.

They reach the alter and Marius shakes James' hand then places Aleana's in her soon to be husband's. He makes his way back to me and squeezes my hand when he sits.

The ceremony goes on rather normally. Aleana doesn't once hesitate as she did in the aisle. Tears well again, because I have such a brave daughter. She is strong in ways that I could never be.

I pray that I'm correct about this marriage. She deserves some happiness.

"You may kiss your bride," announces Father Reynolds.

James lifts the veil and I can clearly see her face. Her eyes are downcast. He moves closer to her, but she stays where she is. He cups her chin and raises her head so that she's looking at him and brings his mouth inches from hers.

Then she leans back? She's leaning away from him. I smirk a bit. She's nervous about kissing him in front of everyone.
He raises an eyebrow and seems to pass a message through this look. Now she too is moving forward. The whole church may be holding its breath. It feels as if it's been five minutes when it's only been a few seconds.

When finally their lips are about to meet she abruptly turns her head and offers him her cheek. A few let out a burst of laughter before covering their mouths and trying to play it off as a cough or a clearing of the throat. I bite my lip to keep from laughing too.

James looks taken aback and a little angry maybe. I don't even have to look at him to know the anger of Marius. I can feel it, like the heat of a small fire.
I squeeze his hand to keep him calm. It's hardly a surprise. An innocent girl doesn't want to have such a private moment in the presence of a crowd.

Aleana is blushing furiously as she and James walk back down the aisle. We all clap, various ones even shout and cheer. I am very pleased at this. Now our friends and esteemed neighbors will not think she is so wild. Willful, of course, but not lewd and unmannered.

Already this marriage has improved her reputation. I eagerly wait to see where it goes next.

~~~~~~~~

See? Longer chapter. Two updates in a row, I am in a writing mood. I'm so glad we finally made it here. I was wondering how long I was gonna drag out that engagement party. ;)

Now they're married. No turning back now. Yeah I wrote from lady Elizabeth's standing. I've personally never been a mother at her child's wedding so I'm doing a lot of guessing. Then again I've never been a 16th-18th century teenager either so it's okay I guess. :)

THANK YOU FOR FINDING MY STORY INTERESTING!!!