Housework

CHAPTER 22

I roll onto my back and blink away the sleep that is trying to pull me back under. I need to get a firmer bed, this one is much too comfortable I can hardly bare to leave it. I reluctantly climb out and pull the curtain aside. Light fills the room and I'm surprised. What time is it that the world is already so bright?

The clock on the mantle reads half passed ten. Oh no! I've slept in! They will have been working for ages by now!

I run to the chord and yank it three times then rush to my wardrobe and throw the doors open. I shove aside all of the lavish gowns and search for a simple frock. If I want to help with the housework, I can't have voluminous skirts getting in the way. I pull out a blue one the color of the sky and throw it into the chair.

The door creaks open and a very concerned Liz peaks her head in.

"Are you alright? The way that bell rang we feared there was a fire," she says examining the room.

"No fire. I'm just in a hurry. Why didn't you wake me? I want to work with you today. You really can't allow me to sleep in so late," I gripe, tugging at the knot of my braid. "Could you please help me with this? I think I got the ribbon stuck in my hair."

Liz walks over and carefully untangling the ribbon from my hair.

"You're in too much of a hurry. You need to slow down. There is always work to do, they won't finish before you're up," she comforts.

"I know. I just don't want to be seen as lazy. I want them to feel comfortable with me the way that you are. The way that everyone was back home," I sigh.

"No one thinks you're lazy. Strange; most definitely. Lazy? Never," she laughs. "But do keep in mind that ones here may be slow to open up to you. It isn't only the rich that hold fast to the class system, you know. I think a few people would have a complaint or two if you took your meals with us."

"Yes I know. I considered that and I've decide to hold off on dining with you until I've established myself. Now please bring me an apron so I can begin my workday."

- - - -

After forcing me to eat some buttered bread, Ms. O'Kara freed me to help Liz make up the beds in three rooms.

Although, I know she would never force me to do anything. I'll say this instead; Ms. O'Kara was politely insistent on my eating something.

I smile thinking of it. I am growing quite fond of her.

"What are you smiling for?" questions Liz.

"I was just thinking of Ms. O'Kara. She is motherly, wouldn't you say? It's a shame she has no children, they would be well cared for," I giggle.

"If she were here, she'd no doubt tell you that she has far too many children to care for right here," she laughs.

"No doubt at all," I smile back.

Liz throws the linen across the bed and we each smooth out our respective sides.

"Why are we preparing these rooms?" I frown. I hadn't questioned it until now.

"Lord Wellington's associates, I believe. They will be staying two nights," she answers.

"When do they arrive?"

"Later this evening, so we must make haste!" Liz replies, throwing a blanket at me.

"On such short notice? It must be something serious. I wonder what it is," I say, thinking out loud.

"I haven't the faintest idea. I just make the beds as I'm told and if you wish to keep working with me, you must actually work," she laughs.

I put the pillows on the bed distractedly. I haven't the faintest idea either. I don't know what James' business is. He was born into status so it isn't a shop. Perhaps the management of various farms or towns?

"Hello? Lea come on. We have to move to the next room. Ms. O'Kara will blame me if we aren't finished in a timely manner," Liz whines from the door.

"Alright, alright. I'm sorry, I was thinking. I'm coming," I grin.

- - - -

Fluffing the last pillow of the last bed, I sigh.

"Okay. After thinking it over, I have decided that the simplest yet most logical business that James could be in, is management. I know that his family is the name sake of at least one town, so it makes sense that with the various financial matters he would have something to do along those lines, right?" I say to Liz.

She sighs dramatically. "You've been going on about this since I told you who was coming. I don't know what Lord Wellington concerns himself with! Why don't you just ask him? He is your husband after all."

"I was just... I mean I could, but..." I trail off.

"You haven't seen him since the other night have you? I thought you said you were going to confront him?" Liz asks.

"Well he hasn't been around very much and I have just been so busy and there just hasn't been a good opportunity," I defend.

"Okay, okay. Do it soon though," she smiles.

"I will. Of course I will," I say. If I can find the right time. Maybe I will speak to him tonight, but his associates are arriving this evening so perhaps tomorrow. Liz says they're staying two nights though, so after they depart would be better. There is no need to be hasty anyhow, it's only been two days.

"Two days," I repeat to myself. It feels as if it's been months.

~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I get inspired and I write a lot but can't finish. And other times I wrote a lot but then it's crap when I reread it. For your sakes I wish I had written it and then published it instead of progressively updating it.
You live and you learn