Candles

CHAPTER 16

I sit irritatedly in the corner of the carriage picking at the lace on my dress. James is speaking wildly. He is incoherent and very intoxicated. Samuel was right, I should have said something then. I just thought that he would have respect for the occasion. A little indulgence is one thing, but this is certainly overindulgence.

"Look! Look look Leana look," he giggles, pointing at the moon.

I roll my eyes. "Yes, it's very bright tonight isn't it?" I attempt even though I know it's useless. When we left his parents' estate he had to be helped into the carriage. He's been singing and shouting ever since we set off.

"I need another drink!" is his response. Six, I add to my tally, he's demanded a drink six times. Lady Mary said it was a short trip, it feels as if it's been an eternity though.

James belches loudly. I cover my nose as the smell permeates the air. He just laughs. He is disgusting, I am fighting myself not to slap him.

"You're almost pretty. I have been with better," he shrugs, "I have also been with worse. I can cope with you."

Before I can respond the carriage stops. James hops out giddily as soon as the door is opened. He does not offer his hand to me. I set my jaw and follow him out.

"I...," I begin.

"Ms. O'Kara take her to her quarters," He said cutting me off.

"Yes sir," an older woman curtsies.

"If you'll follow me madam."

I glared at James and followed Ms. O'Kara. I fumed all the way through the house, not really paying mind to where we were going. Does he really think he can just ignore me? I don't believe that I've expected much from James, and a little civility is not a lot to ask from him.

I think back to the night we made our arrangement, has he broken his part of the deal? No, he isn't trying to control me. I scold myself for not requiring him to be civil toward me. I will think of some way to teach him.

Ms. O'Kara stops in front of a heavy-looking door. "Here you are Lady Wellington, I trust you'll find that your belongings have arrived in good condition."

I startle at the name, Lady Wellington, Lady Aleana Wellington. I bite my lip silently repeating the name, until I realize that Ms. O'Kara is waiting for me to respond.

"Oh...I'm sure everything is fine," I smile. Ms. O'Kara returns my smile.

"I'll give you some time to settle after your journey. Just ring for me if you need any assistance, although I think you'll be in good hands," she says slyly, offering a small curtsy.

I just smile and enter the room. I stop short and gasp, the room is beautiful. My eye is immediately drawn to the large bed, it appears soft and inviting. I take a step toward it only to pause and admire the lush carpet I've set foot on. He certainly lives exquisitely, these are much finer than what mother keeps. That speaks volumes since mother loves to spend on new decor.

I notice flickering lights out of the corner of my eye, it's coming from outside. I walk over to the large window to see what it is. The sight makes me feel full of both joy and sorrow. My window overlooks one of the gardens and there are maybe hundreds of candles burning all throughout. It's as if I'm looking at a reflection of the sky.

Did they do this for me? Was it the staff? Could it have been James idea?

"This is breathtaking," I say to myself. I let out a breath and take in the rest of the room. The high ceilings and moulding is done in the French fashion. I love it. I feel a pang of homesickness. I wish Liz were here, she would love to see this.

There's a light tap at the door. Ms. O'Kara must have come back to check on me. I walk over and open it. I step back in surprise.

"You look like you've seen a ghost. I thought you'd be happy to see me," Liz pouts. I laugh and pull her into a hug.

"I'm overjoyed to see you! I was a little startled. How did you get here?" I question.

"I got here earlier with your things, why?"

"I thought maybe my fairy god mother had delivered you to me," I smirk.

"What on earth do you mean?" Liz giggles.

"I just wished that you were here and now here you are!"

"I suspect careful planning on Ms. O'Kara's part. Anyway, do you love it?" she asks gesturing to the room.

"It's magnificent!" I fawn, "Come look! Did you see this?" I lead her to a window.

She puts her hand to her mouth in much the same way I had. "I heard it mentioned but I hadn't seen it."

"It's to celebrate our wedding," I say.

"Yes, but I think it is mostly to welcome you. Everyone is very excited to have a lady of the house," she responds, still staring at the candles.

I chew on my lip. I can run a house...I think. I hope I don't disappoint them.

Liz sees my worry and grins. "I set them straight though. I said 'Lea? No way! She sleeps until noon and carries food in her pockets. She'll never take charge of a house.' They didn't seem to believe me. I warned them," she finishes putting her hands up as if in defeat.

I laugh and nudge her with my shoulder. "You'll be staying, right?"

"Of course. You didn't really think you could be rid of me did you?" she says nudging me back. I smile in relief. I just might be able to do this.

"How was the ceremony? And the reception? Was it everything that you imagined? Tell me everything!" she says pulling me to a door I hadn't noticed before. She opens it and I find myself in a private sitting room. We sit and she looks at me expectantly.

I tell her everything. I tell her about the almost kiss and the argument then the actual kiss. I tell her about the dancing and the stories. I tell her about my talk with mother and Lady Mary and lastly about my ride with James in the carriage.

"Such a shameful thing," she frowns, "did he really say that?"

"Yes! I can hardly believe it myself. He is such a pig," I huff.

"A pig that you are married to," she reminds me. I take the opportunity to glare at her.

"You don't really have a choice now. The best you can hope for is that he'll learn in time," she shrugs.

"I just don't want to...," I pause unwilling to say it. Liz nods in understanding, "especially after that comment. He's drunk and especially unappealing right now. A kiss was too personal! I'm not prepared for, for that!"

"I actually came to help you get ready," Liz confesses.

"What am I going to do?" I beg. Liz simply shrugs. I groan and sink into the seat.

A heavy knock at the door causes us to jump. I look at Liz, whose wide eyes likely mirror my own.

"Aleala!" James shouts mispronouncing my name.

What am I going to do?

~~~~~~~

Sorry I got stuck on this one. I hope it was worth the wait though.