Shots Fired

The stupid sun woke me from my delightful sleep. I’ve haven’t slept this well in a while. I guess it was exhaustion. I smiled before rolling over to check the time 8:30. I haven’t slept in this late in a while. Listening, it was drop dead silent. Either no one was here, or everyone was still asleep. I softly got out of bed and tip toed to the bathroom. I left on my sweat pants and t-shirt, deciding I would change when we were about to leave. Going through the normal daily agenda went by a lot faster considering I didn’t shower do my hair or make-up. I simply brushed my teeth and brushed out my knots before throwing it up in a small ponytail. Then I peaked my head out the door catching sight of a peaceful Jerry blissfully sleeping in the comfort of the bed. I slipped out of the bathroom and tried to sneak out without waking Jerry.

“Hey… where you going?” Jerry croaked while turning his head to me.

“No where. Just out for some fresh air. Go back to sleep.” I said walking over to him.

“But…” He started before I cut him off.

“But nothing. You need your rest. Go to sleep.” I said before kissing his forehead and pulling the sheets up to his chest, tucking him in. Soon enough he fell back into a deep sleep. Smiling I walked out of the room and into the kitchen where the amazing scent of coffee flooded my nose. As I walked in I saw Jade leaning against the counter.

“Coffee?” She offered, tapping the pot.

“I would love some.” I replied smiling. She got me a mug and poured out some coffee.

“How do you take it?” She grabbing the sugar, the cream and the milk.

“3 creamers and a splash of milk.” I said almost robotically. I’ve done it so many times.

“Hmm. That’s a new one.” She said.

“Yup. A lot of things are new about me.” I said looking over at her.

“I’ve noticed.” She said handing me my mug.

“Thanks.” I whispered.

“No problem.” She mumbled. We sat and drank in silence. It was a comfortable silence though. Once I was done I washed and dried my mug before placing it back into the cabinet.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” I asked turning around. “We can talk.” I added biting my lip. “I can explain everything.” I finished.

“Yea. I’d love that.” She replied getting up. We walked out the back door and into the dense forest. I used to hate the forest, but now I find it comforting. Like home. The crunching of the leaves and branches under my feet. The almost harmonious hum of silence. Nature was something to be admired, not hated as I once did before.

“So, you gonna talk or are we going to admire nature in silence. I mean I don’t mind either.” Jade said looking over at me.

“Oh yea. So where should I begin?” I asked looking over at her.

“The beginning.” She said with a slight laugh. “Begin with what happened in the tombs with Tyler.” She added, being more specific.

“Ok. So we walked into the tombs and it was pitch black. Tyler handed me the book and we were about to leave. Before we could the lights turned on and we heard Jesse’s voice. Then I heard another man enter the conversation. They were telling Tyler to hand me over. To give me to them. Then the man started yelling at Tyler for choosing a girl over family. Then I realized that Tyler’s dad was the leader of the Circle. You’d think that was the plot twist of the night. Nope. After failed attempt and me yelling at the freaking leader of the circle…” I started before Jade cut me off.