7

This chapter is dedicated to LisaStanbridge because she wrote me the nicest thing on my board! Go read her FANTASTIC writing and enjoy because she is AWESOME! 

P.S I should be studying for my exams but I'm not.....

“Curses!” Brad explained playfully, though there was a hard edge to his voice, “I really thought that you would disappear.”

Mary swiveled her body to face Johnathan, “What can I possibly do for you John?” she asked flatly as her eyes scanned over his body quickly.

Johnathan leaned over the table, effectively cutting Brad out of Mary’s line of sight.  With Johnathan in front of her, Mary had no choice but to converse with him.

“I couldn’t help but notice your blatant show of affection with each other, so I took the initiative to intervene,” Johnathan said stiffly.

Mary refused to give into his bulling. She was an adult and the CEO of a very successful business, and didn’t need to be scolded by someone who she could consider a colleague. Raising her perfectly manicured eyebrows, she leading back into the plush velvet covering of her seat and crossed her arms.

“Johnathan, I believe that you have overstepped your boundaries,” Mary sighed, exasperation lacing her voice, “Please state your business or leave, but I refuse to have you encroach on my personal affairs, which I would like to keep free of professional duties. If you would like to talk to me about investments or anything along those lines, please call my secretary and she will schedule and appointment, if not could you please man up and find your way out.”

Mary heard Brad suck in a quick breathe and mutter, “Ouch, ego burn!”

Mary flicked a strand of her hair over her should in pointed nonchalance in Johnathan’s direction. When she saw a glimmer of a challenging smile on his lips appear, she braced herself for what would happen. There was no space in her body to feel flustered as Johnathan leaned precariously close to her ear and whispered.

“I love a challenge.”

After that he stood up quickly and strode out of La Boca without a single care in the world. His powerful strides and broad shoulders cut a path for him to walk through. Mary turned to face Brad, who had a mix of emotions on his face.

“What?” Mary asked, bemusedly.

Brad chuckled, “Nothing, it’s just I forget that you can be really scary sometimes. You don’t really let anyone push you around, not even blue bloods like Johnathan.”

“Blue bloods?” Mary repeated with a ring of questioning.

“Blue bloods,” Brad repeated, “People like me or Johnathan. Old money that probably has been accumulating since the first bank of America was founded. Families who get what they want just because of the power of their name. People born with that much entitlement can sometimes act as if they are living, breathing royalty.”

Mary nodded in understanding before she looked at her watch. “Looks like lunch is over,” she said, getting out her wallet and shoving a card in the billfold.