13

Sorry this is really short! I just wanted to get this out because a lovely person left me a nice message! Also I wanted to thank all of you guys for reading Being the Boss! I never thought that it would ge this popular! It is currently # 194 on Chick-Lit!!!!  

WWWHHHHHHAAAATTTTTTTT

Y'all are AMAZING and I love each and every one you guys!!

Happy reading! The next chapter is already in progress :D

Christmas Day came and went. For the next week Mary was sporting a nice pair of Kendra Scott earrings that she had given by Agnes’s parents. Agnes and Mary had exchanged ugly Christmas sweaters and socks as they always did for Christmas, in addition to regular presents. After days of reveling in Christmas spirit, Mary and Agnes returned to the office.

“Mary, Alan wants to see you, he says it’s urgent,” Sarah said on one insignificant morning in the office.

Mary’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Mary usually didn’t deal with Alan unless the Knightly’s tried to tarnish Brighton Corps. in the press. Motioning for Sarah to let Alan in, Mary scored her brain for any encounters that she had with anyone that would cause Alan to bring it to Mary’s attention.

The door creaked open and brought Mary out of her reverie. Looking up she smiled at Alan, who smiled back as he pushed his black hair out of his eyes.

“So what is it?” Mary asked, not wanting to beat around the bush.

“We have a problem,” Alan stated gravely.

Mary watched as Alan sat across from her and pulled out a thick manila envelope from his briefcase. Pushing the envelope towards her, he began explaining.

“We can’t do anything to stop them from running the article.  It would be prior restraint which isn’t a good thing. But once it’s out you can sue for libel and defamation, then you make them print out a statement,” Alan offered.

Mary opened the folder and scanned the contents. Her frown etched itself deeper into her face and she could feel her blood boiling with every pump of her heart. Staring back at her in bold print was a headline that made her skin crawl.

A Tale of Two Men: CEO Mary Brighton Torn Between Two Bachelors

As if it could get any worse, she flipped through and saw pictures of herself entering the Gala with Brad and pictures of her with Johnathan. Mary hissed as she saw a picture taken at a clever angle that made it look like she was locking lips with Brad.

Mary picked up a sheet and read it out loud.

“Fresh faced Mary Brighton, founder and CEO of the prosperous and self-named Brighton Corporations doesn’t look like she needs any introduction to the elite upper circle of New York. Brighton confirmed her attendance to the Annual Christmas Gala with Brad Duncan, a head executive in his family’s business, but was later seen in a tight embrace with competitor Johnathan Knightly. Sources state that Brighton was seizing an opportunity to increase profits. Another report from a reliable source claims that the two have been seeing each other in secret for a number of months.”