4

Sorry this is taking so long! Part of it is because I want it to be good quality. The other part is a jumble between no time and writer's block with the occational lazy streak! Please vote and comment! I want to here from you!

P.S This is only HALF of chapter Four!

Between the cold of the leather seat and the chill of the smooth silk on her skin, Mary was practically frozen. It was the beginning of November, but the air had taken a turn for the worst unexpectedly. Mary tugged her shawl closer to her body as she stared out the window of her taxi.

As unglamorous as the crackled leather seemed to be, it gave Mary a source of comfort. The simplicity distracted her from the extravagant dress that she was wearing. Of the dresses that Sarah had picked out for her, this was her favorite.

The bodice hugged her skin in the most flattering way, giving Mary curves she usually never had. Every inch of it was covered in rhinestones that glittered whenever they caught the light. The bodice then flared out into intricate drapes adorned with more rhinestones. Mary reached up and fingered her mask. It matched her dress and covered over half of her face.

Once Mary reached her destination, she stepped out carefully, not wanting to be blinded by the press. She smiled demurely at a handful of cameras before making her way into the venue.  With over a hundred people in attendance, the room was filled with a dull roar, the clinking of champagne flutes and the tinkling of democratic laughter filled Mary’s ears.

Making her way towards the bar, Mary decided to wait for the festivities to start. The night would be filled with dancing and mingling as competitors tried to beat each other out with generosity. Mary smiled at the bar tender who handed her a flute.

“You’re too beautiful to be by yourself,” A voice said from behind her.

Startled, Mary turned to see who had approached her. She took another sip of her champagne to stall for time as she tried to decipher who the voice belonged too.

“Maybe I enjoy being alone,” Mary shot back coyly, a small smile spreading across her lips.

“Hopefully I can change that,” Johnathan said, taking a step closer to get a better smell of Mary’s perfume. Once he had found out that Mary was on the guest list of the charity ball, Johnathan knew he had to come.

Never in his life had he been so enthralled by a woman, let alone one the size of Mary.  She had a sense of assurance in herself that he found refreshing and she knew how to take control of a situation.  Johnathan chuckled to himself as he thought about how angry she had been when he had first met her. Her eyes glistened with a liveliness that no other woman in his social circle possessed.

Johnathan watched as Mary took another sip of her champagne, he newly wet lips glistened with a shadow of a smug smile.

Mary looked up to see the stranger’s eyes trained on her lips. Purposely she took another sip of drink, “We’ll see about that,” she replied, turning to walk away.

When she felt a pair of hands on her hips, Mary sighed in exasperation. She had never liked being man handled by others, especially strangers and it was about to happen again for the second time in the month. She was swiftly spun into the arms of her assailant, who had a devilishly intriguing smile on his face.