2

This chapter is dedicated to NavySister22 because she made me a sweet cover! So thanks!!!! If you haven't already, go check out my other books Intoxication and The Lost Lover's Column!

Mary brushed her hands over her dress one last time to smooth out the nonexistent wrinkles. She still had twenty minutes left until Agnes said that she was going to come pick her up. Not wanting to put any creases in her dress, Mary wandered around her apartment looking for something to organize in her immaculate kitchen. Finding nothing she walked a couple of steps into her living room to set her DVR on to record the Bachelor. Hearing her phone ring, Mary snagged it from her purse. 

“Hey, get in the car loser,” Agnes commanded playfully.

Mary smiled; outside of work Agnes was a vibrant creature who had a strong personality. But somehow, whenever her parents came over Agnes became more monochromatic and less colorful than she really was.

“You’re so demanding,” Mary replied as she walked out of her apartment.

The steady clacking of heels against tile kept Mary company until she reached the elevator at the end of her hall. She pressed the down button and waited. After what felt like an eternity, the doors swept open to reveal the decrepit elevator. Gingerly stepping in, Mary prayed that today wasn’t the day that the elevator decided to finally call it quits, just like she did every day.

One answered prayer and a couple of minutes later, Mary reached Agnes’s idly waiting car. Not bothering to knock, she left herself in and automatically reached for the radio as she said hello.

“I don’t understand your love for classical music,” Agnes complained as they waited in traffic, “It’s so boring. Everything sounds exactly the same.”

Mary rolled her eyes, her foot rhythmically keeping time with the fast paced rendition of the Carmen Suite. “It sounds the same because you don’t take the time to listen,” she started, “Listen to the violins and the cellos, listen to the trumpets, flutes, the violas  and then tell me what you feel.”

The car was silent between the two women. Mary looked over at Agnes to see if she was soaking up the beautiful music only to see her staring out the window. The noisiness of the city had consumed her, and there was nothing Mary could do.

“I’m guessing that you like the sounds of honking traffic better than beautiful orchestral music,” Mary teased, poking Agnes in the ribs.

Agnes used her elbow to jab Mary back, “Shut up.”

As they pulled up to the restaurant, Mary could sense that something was wrong with Agnes, who had become quiet. Peering over to her friend, Mary reached a soothing hand out and placed it on top of Agnes’s.

“Hey, I know that they’re your parents and whatnot, but don’t let them control your life. You are a strong, beautiful and independent woman, “she started.

“And I don’t need no man!” Agnes proclaimed, finishing where Mary had left off. The beginnings of a smile etched its way across Agnes’s face as they entered the establishment.