5

This was probably my most favorite chapter to write so far! PLEASE vote and comment! It literally makes my day!

"There is a lot you don't know about me," Johnathan replied haughtily.

Mary could feel his body heat radiating off of his body in waves. Consciously she took a small step farther away from him, she was already woozy from the intoxicating scent of his cologne and she didn't need another factor that could potentially cause her to lose her head.

Mary snorted, "I know enough," she reached up and snapped her mask off her face. She had begun to feel rather silly being the only one with a ridiculous mask on.

This caused Johnathan to bristle in anger, he usually tried no to lash out at women, but this particular one had a special talent of wiggling her way under his skin. He reached out and curled his long fingers over the forearm of Mary and pulled her body towards his.

"If you think for one second that you know anything about my life, you are sorely mistaken," Johnathan hissed, the ice of hatred blazed in his green eyes. "I will not be talked to like some sort of naughty school boy."

Mary took a threatening step forward in attempt to appear more frightening. She could feel the tension in the air between them. The energy crackled and whipped as the wind blew her hair around her. Mary knew that Johnathan was being serious, and she was going to show him that he wasn't the only one who could wear the pants in a relationship.

"I know that you're a liar," Mary stated, a smirk danced across her lips.

"A liar? How so?"   Johnathan shot back with equal part annoyance and interest.

Mary jabbed her index finger into Johnathan's firm chest, "You," she began, accenting her word with another jab, "Somehow managed to swindle Chen into hiring you for some forsaken reason. Then," another jab, "You show up flaunting your face in a high class restaurant that is way out of the league of some meager cashier."

"Next thing I know you are trying to bully yourself into my life and have the audacity to try and tell me what I can and cannot do! Either you have some major identity crisis, or you're hiding something, and I'm pretty sure that someone as cocky as you has a good sense of who they are. So what is it John? What is your dirty little secret?"

Mary, caught up in her harangue didn't know that her heaving chest was less than a centimeter away from Johnathan's.  She craned her next to get a better look at him. Despite her stilettoes, she was still a head shorter than the towering man in front of her.

Johnathan was about to retaliate when his phone began to ring. Shoving his hands into his pocket, he swiftly pulled his phone out and began to talk.

"What?" he demanded, his voice ringing in agitation.

Once the voice replied, his mood soured even more. It was the person who he had wanted to avoid for at least another month or so. That was why he had taken up the low end job of working as a cashier at the stupid Chinese dumb on the other side of town. It would be the last place on the planet that his father would look for him.  

"Why didn't you tell me that you came back?" the senior Knightly asked, his tone left no room for nonsense.

Johnathan huffed, and casted a wary eye Mary whose face was the color of anger, before he answered his father. Pushing his left hand into his pocket, he fished for his keys.

"Because I didn't want too, that's why. I'm not a child. I can take care of myself."

Knowing that nothing would fully pacify his father, Johnathan forced himself not to yell. He would just listen to his father's ranting and threatening and then move on with his life.