1

So this story literally wrote itself. It was supposed to be a one shot for Valentine's Day but I liked it too much! I only let myself continue to write it because I know that Intoxication is coming to an end and it just felt good not having to force ideas out of my head and onto paper. I hope you enjoy reading this and don't forget to check out my other works!

The most dangerous leadership myth is that leaders are born-that there is a genetic factor to leadership. That’s nonsense; in fact, the opposite is true. Leaders are made rather than born. —Warren Bennis

Mary tapped her foot impatiently. If her stomach growled one more time she was going to faint. Willing herself not tear her favorite Chinese establishment to the ground, she flicked through her messages for the hundredth time as her thirty minute lunch break dwindled away.

“Now serving customer fifteen,” a voice called.

Not looking up Mary strode over to the counter and grabbed her sweet and sour chicken with steamed white rice. “Could you have kept me waiting any longer Chen? Goodness I ought to tear you to shreds right now! Now I’ll only have five minutes to eat before my meeting with my investors.”

“Sorry about the delay ma’am. I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Mary snorted, “You better. I don’t have time for mistakes like th-“Mary started before she looked up puzzled. That wasn’t Chen’s voice she had heard.

Instead of seeing dark haired and wiry Chen manning the counter, Mary saw a stranger. Instead of warm brown eyes, Mary saw humored green ones. Glancing over the man’s body, Mary had to admit that he was very attractive. He was well muscled, had tousled brown hair and had a killer set of eyes.

“Who are you? Where’s Chen?” Mary spat out, confusion dancing across her face.

 The attractive man laughed, “I’m Johnathan, but I go by John,” he replied.

“Well John, I don’t appreciate being kept waiting. It would do well for you to remember than in the future, as I frequent this place often,” Mary replied, “And you didn’t answer my question. What have you done to Chen?”

Before John had the chance to be offended, a middle aged man pushed through the swinging doors that lead to the back. Although he was carrying a large tub of cleaning supplies, his demeanor didn’t reflect anything but joy. Humming quietly to himself, his eyes scanned the room until he was the face he was looking for.

“Mary!” he exclaimed, “I could hear you from the back, what’s going on?” Chen asked, putting his cargo on the nearest counter.

Mary huffed, “Nothing but incompetence,” she mumbled mostly to herself.

John shot her an annoyed look. It only then that he allowed his eyes to graze over Mary’s body. She was good-looking, he’d give her that, but her attitude marred her beauty. Her black hair was in a severe ponytail that hung down the center of her back, and her brown eyes were framed by the thickest eyelashes he had ever seen.