8

Mary pushed herself down the street, her body pressed uncomfortably against strangers. It was rush hour and everyone on the streets had a destination to reach. Clutching her phone tightly in her hand, she tried to make her way around a couple whose locked hands took up precious space.

“Can you walk any slower?” Mary muttered to herself, missing yet another opportunity to overtake the couple in front of her. “The sooner I can get there, the sooner I can leave.”

Finally, Mary reached her destination. Throwing herself through the door, the presence of hundreds of people left her. Smiling gently at the receptionist, she made her way towards the desk.

“Hi, Mr. Knightly sent for me,” Mary said, brushing her hands over herself to smooth out any crinkle.

“If you take a left at the end of the hall, there will be an elevator; take it to the tenth flour and Mr. Knightly’s personal secretary will show you the way to his office.”

Mary smiled and made her way down the hall. Her quick and even steps rebounded off the walls and filled her ears with reassuring sound. Letting a small portion of her mind wander, she wondered why Knightly’s office wasn’t on the top floor. It was common practice for executives to be on the top floor, and the thought of someone who had been in the industry to not follow conventions baffled her.

The elevator slid open, exposing a floor filled with natural light. Mary looked around to see windows lining every surface of the walls. Stepping out of the elevator, Mary walked towards one window and peered out. The view of the city, her city, was breathtaking. She felt as if she were in a different place, even though she was only a few blocks over.

“Can I help you?” a high pitched voice called out.

Mary flinched slightly at the sound of the woman’s voice, but made her way towards the desk. The woman was dressed conservatively, yet nicely. She had a black and white polka dotted blouse and a mustard yellow pencil skirt, her hair pulled up into a nice up-do. Her name tag read Cecilia.

“Um, yes you can. Mr. Knightly sent for me,” Mary stated.

Mary felt Cecilia’s eyes scan over her, disapproval wafting off her body in waves. This didn’t bother Mary, she was here on a mission and no one was going to deter her.

“You don’t look like one of his types, but whatever.” Cecilia muttered under her breath, her eyes judged Mary harshly, “If you would take a seat, I’ll tell him that you have arrived.”

Mary smiled smugly, showing Cecilia that she wasn’t affected by her judgment, “Thank you,” Mary said.

She made her way toward a plush seat and sat down.  Her eyes scanned around the room, and even though she hated the Knightly Industry, she had to give kudos to their interior decorator. The room played to the strengths of the space. The walls were painted a light blue color and expensive looking brown curtains framed every large window. All the seats were thick and inviting, they were cream color and blue, brown and cream pillows of various prints decorated each one.

Mary snatched up a worn and boring looking newspaper to pass the time. As the seconds ticked by, Mary became more agitated. How could she be summoned and then made to wait? She looked at her phone and gave Knightly three more minutes until she left. Setting her timer, Mary let out another huff.