9

I was going to write more for this chapter.... but then I was pulled a Fat Amy and said Mhhhhh Better Not :) Enjoy!!!

Mary felt her face flush from the compliment. Agnes had always been the one that was into fashion and make-up, and to hear such praise from her was a big deal. Ever since college days, Agnes had been a fashionista. It had been her dream to work for a high end designer, and Mary believed that she would’ve done a great job. But, Agnes’s parents didn’t think that it was a good enough profession for her, and Agnes didn’t want to break her parent’s hearts.

“You really think so?” Mary asked, glancing at herself once again in the floor length mirror.

Agnes grinned and nodded, her brown hair flopping madly about her face. Rushing towards her, Agnes began to analyze out loud to Mary why she looked like a stunner in the dress.

“Look at your waist!” Agnes nearly shrieked, “It’s like practically nonexistent. And that slit is totally sexy, but in a subtle way. If you don’t buy this dress I will literally kill you.”

Mary looked at herself in the mirror again and chewed the inside of her cheek. She did like the dress, but it didn’t seem like something she would wear.

Agnes looked at Mary’s reflection and noticed the look in her eyes.

“NO!” Agnes stated firmly, “You are NOT going to talk yourself out of buying this dress. Gosh Mary, be selfish and conceited for once in your life!”

Mary sighed and capitulated to Agnes’s demands, “Alright, I’ll get the dress, happy now?”

Agnes smiled as if she had not just pestered Mary, “Thank you!”

After a series of stores and pep talks from Agnes, Mary left the store with a total of seven dresses and an infinite number of shoes and accessories that were essential to complete the outfit. At least that was what Agnes was telling her as she swiped her credit card. Christmas party season was upon them and Mary felt equipped to handle herself against the pressures of the society.

The next week, Mary got a call from Sarah.

“Hey, I’m sending you the guest list for the Christmas Charity Gala. Can you give me confirmation so that I can send out invites and such?”

Mary twirled a lock of hair around her finger as she half listened to what Sarah was saying, “Um sure. I don’t need to remind you about getting everything else together, so do your thing,” Mary replied as her eyes scanned the spreadsheet in front of her.

“Okay, thanks,” Sarah replied.

The conversation ended and Mary’s focus was back to the spreadsheet. At the top was information of Brad’s company, the rest were the companies that Brighton was affiliated with and did business with. Comparing Brad’s numbers to the rest of her clients, Mary noted that he did exceptionally well. Deciding that he was worthy to be brought to the board, she scheduled a meeting for the next day.